Agnostic.com

52 4

How do you debunk it when someone claims religion, no matter it's true or false' serves as an important psychological support or placebo for some people?

NeMeS1S 4 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't because it does.

It very clearly creates a community for support.

A placebo by definition only works because you believe it does. Placebo is often more effective than actual medicine. There is real scientific evidence for this. Weather it is a sugar pill or a false belief in deity it would still have measurable clinical effects in many cases if the recipient believes in the cure.

MsAl Level 8 June 8, 2019

I will have to disagree with your third sentence.

@GuyKeith You are right and I should probably look it up before using the word definition when isn't appropriate. I stand by the rest though.

You don't. You might offer them a Xanax to see which works better. Tell them if one doesn't do it, surely two will. 😛

I'm sure it does. That doesn't mean there are not better, less harmful ways of achieving the same.

They can go juggle snakes, pray to the sparkle pony in the sky, I don't care.
BUT,,,,,,don't expect me or force the government to make me adhere to your insanity.

Tell them to listen to all the whimpering in nursing homes when they're sure their Maker is going to send 'em to hell.

You can’t because for many people it does!

It probably doesn't count as debunking, but my response to those kinds of arguments is that it isn't religion itself giving them psychological support. Religion is a parasite which often arbitrarily claims ownership of concepts like morals or hope or social community cohesion. etc

Whatever people get from religion, I'm fairly certain they can get elsewhere, since everything we need to function had to be available BEFORE organized religion came along and rumor has it people without religion have shown signs of morals, hope and social cohesion. etc
I'm not saying it would be easy to make that switch, but I have yet to hear a compelling argument that there is something people need that only religion can provide (anyone feel free to be the first)

Stop teaching kids to look for these things in religion and maybe we will not have adults hopelessly dependent on it.

Let them hold on to their crutch.

unlike most other mammals we have a very long childhood.
due to this we expect that there are powerful controlling beings that will provide for our every need. of course is our parents, as we get older we realize that our parents are flawed people like ourselves. the need is great the god-shaped vacuum is there, so we create a all powerful parent without human frailties. we can assign the attributes to the God as we see fit. the Roman assigned to their gods based on the values of their society.
the Jews and Hindus selected gods with attributes that reflected their society.
clearly if horses had a god it would look like them and reflect the values of their society.
knowing this does not free us from the god-shaped vacuum, it's still there.
it is my belief we will fill it with something, science, or The voices in your head.

I distinguish what is true from what is useful. It may be useful for me to believe myself to be a rational, compassionate, well-adjusted human being. It doesn't also have to be true.

Lying to yourself is worse than lying to others.

Even if it weren't true, you would have to prove that no one anywhere has ever used it for those reasons in order to debunk that claim. That seems like pretty tall order.

JimG Level 8 June 8, 2019

I don’t.

skado Level 9 June 8, 2019

Marx refered to religion as a crutch. But wouldn't it be better to learn how to walk properly in the first place.

Religion is the opiate of the masses... Same concept?

Religious beliefs can and are a placebo to those who have great difficulty in dealing with and living in a Universe of Reality, Reasoning, Logic and Acceptance of Responsibility for Ones own Actions, etc.
However, this 'placebo' is NOT as benign as you would believe, it IS addictive, VERY addictive and has innumerable unwanted 'side-effects' such as creating a dumbing down effect on the user, a continuously growing need/desire for stronger and greater doses, it often alienates the user from those around them who are not so 'addicted,' etc, etc, to name just a few.

Exactly! Religion is like a drug!

I'm glad I read this first. This is what I wanted to say but couldn't find the words. Well done that man.

Trying to debunk religious beliefs is a fool's errand.

Why bother. Sounds like an exercise in futility to me.

Could easily say reading comic books, or Dr. Seuss books does the same, maybe rubbing a Rabbits foot. Can't debate someone that doesn't value evidence, or logic and reason. Funny how they will all value it when their health starts to fail and resort to medical science vs. a little black book.

Maybe they should grow up.

It IS fine or even good for some people.

I leave alone many won't believe facts if it bites them in the ass

bobwjr Level 10 June 10, 2019

If religion really does help people cope mentally, shouldn't the churches pay taxes like medical practices do?

Yes. All churches (religions) should be taxed like any other business. Watch how fast a lot of them close up shop....

Don't debunk it if that's true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.