Agnostic.com

21 0

Are we adapting to technology’s advances?

Things are changing so fast with technology, how will it benefit or hurt our young people over time? And what about adults? How well are we adapting? Examples - people don’t knock on doors, read maps, or memorize phone numbers.

LeesaMay 3 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Man through time has learned to adapt and learn how to use technology as it becomes more and more complex. "Adapt" is the right word...adapted to using the wheel long ago. But it is my feeling that much of technology these days is over-engineered for a lazy human who won't have to move or get up to do anything. And people ARE adapting to that...I on the other hand resist!!!

We are relying on it but turning into fools. I guess we are adapting if we are on this sight.

Of course we're adapting, but not fast enough. We're overwhelmed.

Many rosy predictions for new tech overlook that there's an upper limit to how fast society can absorb various kinds of systemic change. They also tend to overlook the law of unintended consequences.

Google, for example, Sean Parker, the guy who invented the concept of the FaceBook "like" and now deeply regrets it and believes it is literally altering people's brains for the worse.

@Akfishlady I wouldn't say I'm addicted. Addiction means you feel compelled and can't stop. I've gone up to a day without thinking about it when work keeps me busy enough. It's just a way to pass time and have some sense of community when I'm waiting for a compile / test cycle or my wife is still doing work and I don't want to watch the Trumpocalypse unfold on TV.

@Akfishlady I was referring to this site, not FB. I am only on FB because my adult daughter more or less refuses to stay in touch any other way. I probably look at it once a week. Never really clicked with me. My wife though is more OCD and found FB very addictive, to the point that she's shut her account off for a few months at a time.

1. Both. It will bring advantages and disadvantages. The technology is neither bad nor good, how it is used will determine it's effects and since most things people obtain are used incorrectly, this will be true for new technologies.

2. Addiction to phones has already caused millions of peoples lives to be ruined. Texting & driving, cyber bullying, anti-social behavior, indoctrination from media outlets, etc.

3. We are not adapting fast enough. The effect that the indoctrination has had is irreversible and will remain for many generations to come. This indoctrination has bred weakness under the false guise of tolerance and acceptance. I am all for tolerance and acceptance, however weakness by choice is something I cannot respect.

4. Adults are not adapting well, they too are addicted to these technologies. However they are slightly more disciplined in the amount of time they spend on them.

The overall effect will be similar to George Orwells 1984. My university already tracks students using their phones to check if they attend lectures.

People really need to "unplug" and look at the world around them. Not just engage in social media or self-destructive practices.

Your university tracks students lecture attendance? Really. Do you have a link to this? It sounds preposterous, but possibly true.

@FrndlyNbrhdAthst

[lboro.ac.uk]

The future is changing. It means we use less paper but it also means that some kids come in at the start, log attendance then leave after 10 min

@FrndlyNbrhdAthst

[lboro.ac.uk]

The future is changing. It means we use less paper but it also means that some kids come in at the start, log attendance then leave after 10 min

There is a lot of technology out there. I don't use a smart phone or GPS like I used to since being retired. I've never had an I-phone, I-pad, or I-pod. No Siri or Alexis. I guess I am a technology virgin-LOL

I use a smart phone. But I have no desire to have Siri or Alexis in my house. I'm fine with figuring out what is in my refrigerator all on my own. 😉

I am not so much, but I have grandsons who bring me up to speed. And if all else fails, there is Lia, my 8 year old granddaughter who knows everything and rolls her eyes at me in the most funny way!

Not sure if we are adapting or just floating through life. I use a conputer at work and home, have since the Commodore 64 I bought in the 80's. I have a smart phone, use it for a lot of things. but, I can still take a good picture of my finger over the lens! I have always liked the sign, :We are drowing in information and still seeking wisdom!:

BillF Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Humans have continued to adapt to technology if it benefits them. But I fear we have over-gadgetized and over-engineered much of what is available these days to make it where humans just sit and do not move. I mean cars without drivers? Really? As long as there are cars with drivers on the road with them, there will be issues with that. I feel much of what is "technology" these days has created a lazy society which is becoming de-socialized in dealing directly with themselves in a real conversation.

Certainly trying. I just can't afford the latest-greatest anything right now, but I like to think I'm reasonably well-versed, equipped with basic knowledge that enables me to navigate developments fairly smoothly. I think more kinds of advanced tech and tech education should be more accessible to the public, including high speed interwebs as a basic public service!

We don't seem to consider the impact of a new invention very much over the financial aspects of it. How about the psychological, ecological and sociological impacts? For instance, by not memorizing phone numbers any more, we are not using a part of our brain that we used to use. Memorization is fast becoming a thing of the past as we rack up numerous ways to access and remember information as well as reminders that come on phones and computers so that we don't have to remember.

Some of the new technology has its damaging side that has not been fully assessed. Cell phones, towers, high powered electric lines, home and other networks all emit frequencies that are being shown to cause cancer and other physical and mental problems in individuals. This was not thought of in the rush to get power to the people and all these electronics we now depend on to market. Perhaps we should slow down a bit and do some study on how things will shape us before we introduce so many new things to the market.

Adapting? Yes
I would like a glimpse ten or so years from now. When implanted chips have influence over our biochemical body functions extending life span and health. Maybe highten senses, digital memories our brain can access directly.
After that, evolution to part machine part biological entity?
Or maybe technology will advance our knowledge to understanding things such as string theory, quantum mechanics. Mastering bending time back on itself throwing off our physical exsistance for a soul or spiritual existence only? Just saying. ?

It will make life easier , it always has ..

Adapting? More like completely melding or integrating. AI won't have to revolt like in Terminator to take over humans. They've already done it non-violently pretty much. How many people do I see outside with their face in their phone all the time? Or the amount of people at home who are on their computer 24/7? People's whole lives are in their phones, or they are dependent on electronics. I think it's already hurt people, especially in the exercise department, which leads to worse health. It also seems there is more communication between people now because of computers, but at the same time there seems to be less conversation when it really matters like at a dinner table etc. I've been to restaurants where I sit there with my friends and we actually TALK TO ONE ANOTHER, whereas I'll look a few tables over and there are 3 or 4 people with their faces in their phones most of the time while they occassionally pay attention to the actual human across from them. "Skynet" is already here, and people welcome it.

We haven't even adapted to 20th century advances.

I still remember rotary phones and TVs where you had to get up to change the channel. While I don't miss those things and appreciate how the internet has made connections possible that couldn't have been before, it can't surpass face-to-face connection and real life experience. If I didn't have that, I don't think I could even function well online.

While I agree with much of what has been said in this thread (the negative comments/concerns about tech), I feel, overall, it is a boon. And we are on the verge of seeing far greater human/tech integration and use. Smartphones are the tip of the iceberg. Other smart devices are coming/already here that will further integrate us and help us to control our lives. Medical science, I believe, is poised to benefit greatly from tech, especially nanotechnology. More wearable tech is here/coming. Self-driving cars, neural linking (Elon Musk is pushing the literal integration of humans and tech). Big Brother, military tech are concerning.

I don't know. I think that depends where you live. I haven't had so many Christians knock at my door until I moved to this little town. I've lived here 4 years and seem to get someone knocking every 6 months or so. They have been polite so far and left when I told them I was not interested. I have to get a "No Proselytizing" sign out front... soon... as they are due around again in the next month or so.

That aside, other than a computer I don't have a lot of tech around here. I prefer a map over anything else and I was never good at memorizing numbers, even as a child before all this tech.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

I take what I need when I need I use. In other words I am not amazed or empowered by adapting to technology advances. I can live in the past, present or future with what I have available.

I take what I need when I need I use. In other words I am not amazed or empowered by adapting to technology advances. I can live in the past, present or future with what I have available.

Alvin Toffler's book Future Shock discusses this phemonen. Wikipedia says, "Toffler argued that society is undergoing an enormous structural change, a revolution from an industrial society to a "super-industrial society". This change overwhelms people. He believed the accelerated rate of technological and social change left people disconnected and suffering from 'shattering stress and disorientation'—future shocked. Toffler stated that the majority of social problems are symptoms of future shock. In his discussion of the components of such shock, he popularized the term 'information overload.'"
    If I had the money, I would probably buy all the new tech toys, and might be called an early adapter, except for phones. I prefer to talk in person. As ASTRALMAX points out, youngsters seem to accommodate new technology, as if it always existed. However, many of them will suffer future shock as technology continues to change. Others will be early adopters. Change affects some adversely, which may be why so many feel like the US and world need to return to conditions like the past, which is futile. 

Judging by the rise in mental health in teenagers we're not adapting too well at the moment

@MrLizard when they are spending all their time on iPads and smartphones they are engaging less in real life there are countless reports suggesting that this is a direct cause to mental health issues

@MrLizard I know that I was just making it relevant to the question

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.