Agnostic.com

6 5

QUESTION Death with Dignity Oregon Couple’s Final Days Captured In Intimate Aid-In-Dying Video

When it rains it pours. Since getting started (again) on this topic I have been getting a flood of messages. I just received a beautiful card from a person who is a close island neighbor I don’t know but, of course, my late partner did. I have seen the couple’s house many times as it really stands out. They have a huge wind turbine and the roof is covered solar panels. Apparently, they are a very wealthy couple and do a lot for the community so maybe they will be a possible ally in this cause.

JackPedigo 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh how I wish MO had this law. My mother suffers from dementia and its just not fair. Animals are put down if they are suffering. Thank you for sharing this.

Shingles...hell do I remember shingles. Misdiagnosed so the damned thing got a real grip before correct medication administered.

I have been told it is not a pleasant disease but can be controlled.

I want to add another part to this. I had my physical this week and was told I needed to update my Shingles vaccine. When I went to our local pharmaacy the owner walked up to me and we had a lengthy talk about this subject. He said they support the program and are always trying to get the word out because few people even know it exists (he said my letter helped a lot). He also said there is a group that subsidizes the final meds because they can cost upwards of $1,500. He said there was a case and he received a check and was told to just put it aside in case someone needed it. He also said that most of the time people get started on the path to Death with Dignity but succumb before the program can be administered.

With my late partner it took longer than we wanted and just hours before the meds. were delivered she went into a coma and died several hours later. I donated the drugs back into the system.

This video is as it should be but government began as theocracy, therefore crap in, crap out - unless people unite and overcome the influence of people who profit from end of life events. Generally speaking though, brainwashing people with religon is good for business!

jeffy Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

An article in the Atlantic monthly, several years, ago had a story about just that very thing. How business linked up with religion.

What a beautiful story. I really respect their decision. My uncle died of Parkinson's and it was scary and painful to watch my favorite uncle suffer like that. My aunt was diagnosed shortly after that with leukemia and went through chemo at 90years old, dying within a year. My uncle was close to 90. If two people who have been married that long-65 years-want to die together and time is their ally why not?

The government has no business determining our end. Government out & off of our bodies.

Again, a complicated issue. Many are concerned that selfish relatives or snake oil salespeople will try and bump of a rich relative to get their money so safeguards are enacted. Also, we have the usual problem of religion trying to set the "moral" direction. Hospitals are using every means possible to keep afloat since we are so uncivilized with our national health programs. I think the basic idea is that is is not a cultural norm and that takes a loooong time to change. We have to just keep slugging away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.