Agnostic.com

38 5

Bob Dylan was a great songwriter. Can't stand his singing voice.

Bob Dylan's high pitched, whiny, nasal singing is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

The 75-year-old singer-songwriter was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

That's impressive.

Anyone else feel this way?

LiterateHiker 9 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dylan is a classic,From the 60,s and still going

I saw him in concert once. It was awful he had his back to the audience the whole time.

I saw him on a double bill with Paul Simon, and he was fantastic. His band was on fire, and he rewrote his catalog right there on stage. He played a LOT of lead guitar, sharing lines with the great Charlie Sexton. He was joined by Paul for Blue Moon Over Kentucky and Sounds of Silence. He was engaged, present and happy to be there.

@MattChanning1 well that's lovely for you. I did not have that experience.

But, he sure knows how to put the feeling in his songs..
You probably don't like Tom waits either ! 😉

Buddha Level 8 June 15, 2019

@Buddha

Don't like the singing voices of Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits.

@LiterateHiker so who's your favs?
I started appreciating Jack white too. 🙂

Love Tom Waits but I can see why some don’t

@Buddha

Audra McDonald, Ella Fitzgerald, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Kenny Rankin, Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga (sometimes), jazz singer Patricia Barber, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett and more.

@LiterateHiker nice selection... have you ever followed Post modern jukebox or the hot sardines ?

@Geoffrey51 well, some of his songs are as bit rough. 🙂

@Buddha

No. A little background:

My father was a professional jazz trumpet player in Detroit from age 14 (he lied about his age to get into the Musician's Union) until he died of cancer at 51.

As a teen, I sat in with Dad's band with my flute when they practiced at our house.

At the University of Michigan, I played jazz flute in Jazz Workshop through the Afro American Studies Dept. I had the only white face. In 20 years, I was the only white student with the guts to play in Jazz Workshop, the professor said later. It was a lot of fun.

On flute, I play jazz, classical and some blues music. With sensitive hearing, I cannot stand screaming guitars.

Also don't like the trumpet playing of jazz great Miles Davis, whose atonal (ouch) music veered off into outer space. I want music to resolve and return to the melody once in awhile. It's more relaxing.

Everyone has different taste.

@LiterateHiker that is really an interesting story.
I wish I was a musician, but never could get passed the mechanics. I needed to develop my ear and it never happened. I have a daughter that still does fill in for a symphony orchestra on violin.

@LiterateHiker In what way is Kind of Blue atonal? Or Porgy and Bess? Or Sketches of Spain? Or Birth of the Cool, or In a Silent Way? Or 'Round Midnight? or.....?

@LiterateHiker What a clever way to NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION.

I did not ask you what atonality is.

I know what atonality is. WHAT I ASKED YOU IS, IN WHAT WAY ARE THE EXAMPLES I MENTIONED ATONAL? IN WHAT WAY IS MILES DAVIS' MUSIC ATONAL.

In the examples I cited:

Two are modal. Two are mildly chromatic and involve "making the changes" in order to successfully improvise, one is an album of Gershwin tunes, and one is based on an important Spanish concerto by Rodrigo that isn't atonal unless you have shit in your ears. Three can also be considered brilliant examples of "third stream" in that they are in equal measure rigidly orchestrated and improvised.

The correct answer to the question is, "NONE. NONE ARE ATONAL."

In fact, Miles never made a single record that embraced atonality. You'd know this if you'd ever listened to anything he recorded. He made some records, like Live at the Plugged Nickel and A Tribute to Jack Johnson, which embraced aspects of free jazz, but free jazz isn't atonal inasmuch as its hyperchromatic. Strict atonality would be best defined by the music of the composers I've mentioned below.

The dictionary definition more accurately describes the music of Schoenberg, Berg, Webern and Stockhausen--composers who used serialism and 12-tone techniques to thwart tonality. Some late Stravinsky meets the criteria for atonality as well.

But Miles? Nope. Analyzing any of his records from his time replacing Dizzy Gillespie in Charlie Parker's band to Doo Bop, his final recording, will reveal NOT ONE example of atonality.

Joan Baez has the best covers of Dylan songs.

They were lovers, weren't they!!!!???

@FUNandFAITHFUL Thanks. I was not aware.
[psychologytoday.com]

Can't stand listening to him. At all.

1of5 Level 8 June 15, 2019

Absolutely. Had a great album once Baez sings Dylan.

A few of his songs fit his voice perfectly. But calling it his singing voice is a stretch

I know what you mean. Dylan's songs are great, when actually sung.

Petter Level 9 June 15, 2019

Wow. Praising Dylan's songwriting acumen as an ass-backward means of knocking his voice. Imaginative. You never see anybody do that anywhere ever.

Daring!

Original!

@Petters

"Just Like a Woman" music and lyrics are gorgeous.

@MattChanning1

What is "ass-backwards"? It's normal to love the songs a person writes, but dislike his/ her singing voice.

As a musician, I love Leonard Cohen compositions, but don't like his singing voice.

@LiterateHiker But commenting about the thing you don't like is just a sort of substitution for saying something meaningful about the thing you claim to admire.

I absolutely feel that way! Horrible voice. Genius lyrics.

"Horrible voice. Genius lyrics."

Wow. Daring. Insightful. Original.

Next...

@GreatNani

Glad I'm not alone.

@LiterateHiker ha! I ha e thought this for years. However her, his voice seems to suit his songs according to others who agree it is not great but seems to fit the music so to speak. I think some people feel that way about Leonard Cohen as well

@GreatNani

Can't stand listening to Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits sing.

@MattChanning1 I wasn't trying to be insightful, original or daring. Just posting quickly. Sorry that offended you so much you had to respond. 🙂

i have been in awe of his lyrics since i first discovered him but they have debased the Nobel Prize by giving it to him (in my humble opinion 🙂 ). A further pandaring to the masses 😟

Pro-tip:

At least Dylan can spell. Which, in at least one respect, makes him more qualified for a Nobel than you.

It's "pandering", Coleridge...

I completely disagree. The Nobel is for literature, Dylan just sets it to music, which considering the body of work he has written, it is a well deserved award and one that the wise Nobel folks gave while thinking quite outside the box.

@Lop-Eared-Mule i am quite prepared for others to disagree. Doesn't change my opinion though 😊

@MattChanning1 i wasn't competing with Dylan for the Nobel prize just as i'm not competing with you for being a prize prat. Obviously you win that prize outright 😂

@SimonCyrene I'm a prat among gobshites.

@MattChanning1 well only you can be held responsible for the company you keep 🤣

@SimonCyrene And yet, here I am talking to you.

@MattChanning1 well i'm sure even you need some respite from your usual gobshite friends 😁 (and they from you 😊)

Yeah I'll give credit where credit's due he's a decent songwriter and entertainer, been around for decades since the sixties from what I recollect but that whining voice and squeaky harmonica has got to go.

Maybe he can hire you.

Remember folks, by generally praising Dylan's lyrics as an excuse to knock his voice, you save yourself from actually having to say anything interesting, meaningful or even specific about the former!

It allows you the opportunity to look clever without actually knowing anything. Good job!

And by insisting that his winning the Nobel Prize for Literature somehow denigrates the prize itself, you can trick people into thinking that not only have you read past winners, but that you've actually read anything at all!

You can cultivate an air of authority without actually having to cultivate any discipline or expertise.

You can be an intellectual without having to exercise any intellect.

That's some smart thinkin'...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361075
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.