Agnostic.com

7 3

Do you have qualms about words with religious context?

Some people have qualms about certain religiously associated words that are used even in a non-religious context.

Do you use these words? Do any or all bother you?

Words such as

god
soul
pray
spiritual/spirt
belief
faith
bless

---or any others?

Are there good non-religious replacements for any of these words?

silvereyes 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have any qualms about using words that religions have borrowed and contaminated. It is our duty to reclaim these words. In order to do that, we have to use them. Science uses mystical words to define things (weather science and lightning pop into thought), so why shouldn't we?

I love you for posting this!

God: this is the most serious one of all. It would do us all well to use this word in reference to something tangible. A very good dictionary definition (usually low on the list, these days) is 'any object or activity or concept that a person devotes an inordinate amount of time and energy and focus toward'. I love it how the religious cannot define god as anything other an invisible, all powerful man in the sky, yet they refuse to actually say that because they know its stupid.

soul: I use this word to mean the ability to connect with a heartfelt creative urge; often, i suppose, as someone who has the ability to free-style dance or play jazz music well. I hate its use in basically all agnostic/religious/spiritual formats because it really doesn't seem to mean anything other than the notion of 'real self' which, honestly is not a practically applicable word and communicates virtually nothing by its use.

pray: To me, i understand that prayer, or praise, is the act of worshiping/nurturing/building up something whether it is an ability, object, relationship, belief/viewpoint, etc. When i'm jamming i'm praying to my musical ingenuity, when i'm sitting in silence i am praying to my ability to witness myself, when i'm making food i am praying to my need to cook, when i'm shopping i'm praying to my need to acquire.

Spiritual/Spirit: I tend to use 'Spiritual, Not Religious', but maybe i had never read an accurate definition for agnostic, because i like that too. 'Spiritual' is more like a feeling. When i say 'i'm spiritual' i mean that i care what i think and what i feel and what the truth is for me. I use 'spirit' to mean the energy and emotion behind something, usually with strength. You do something with a real enthusiasm than you do something with spirit. Saying 'the spirit', i take as a reference to 'the energy of', so the 'spirit' of a relative is something you can easily connect with, the 'spirit' of jesus or god or the 'holy' spirit is just another phrase with no meaning whatsoever.

belief: People use this word FAR too often to mean 'Wish' and i really WISH people would STOP! If you believe in jesus than you WISH he would come to take you to heaven and you are GAMBLING. A belief is not a robe you can don and remove at will, it is a knee-jerk reaction, and not one that stings of a parent hitting you.

faith: Again, people often use this word to mean some sort of weak or false hope, that is stupid. Faith is something you're allowed to have when you've done all that you reasonably can to make something happen and have to wait for the outcome.

bless: So i believe this is a thing, i've heard stories about people who bless the soil and it works, i believe that it is some sort of energetic exchange that i'm not trained enough to understand properly because i don't practice energy work often enough or in a guided manner... but most people who think they can bless anything are 100% full of shit unless they're a monk who has studied in the east, (usually).

Also, heaven, hell, and 'a relationship with god' are phrases worth discussing.

I just accept that religious terms are part of our venacular, and although it sometimes bothers me, I just use the words when appropriate and accept that although they may have had a religious origins, their contexts when used in general language is not always religious in their meanings.

Language itself is very limiting in expressing all ideas and emotions we have. Sometimes only a word with a religious origina will be the best suited word to best, even if not perfectly, convey what I mean. I try to avoid such words, but sometimes, they are the best words to convey what I mean

Not at all I say jesus Christ and oh my god on a regular basis..when I'm questioned by believers I say..because it is un-believable they exist I can say what I want

Words such as those can have both a "deep and meaningful", and a vernacular usage. For me the vernacular meaning is the only use I would have for the words on that list.

They don't bother me at all, they just wash over the top of my head, just like any other profanity, such as, 'fk', ct, pr**k, etc.. They are only disturbing when I see them used in the religious context, especially with children.
Replacements? I like a challenge 😉
god = whatever
soul = ego
pray = wishful thinking
spiritual/spirit = dreamy ego
belief = dream
faith = trust
bless = be lucky
🙂

Oh My Whatever! I forgot to add
Jesus Christ = Son of a witch 🙂

Bless and pray are the only words on that list that really irk me. People so often tell you that they pray for you and that they are blessed which are condescending statements that reduce the agency of people. On the flip side, the year I was deployed with the military, my mother prayed for me and she didn't feel the need to tell me until a decade later as part of a larger conversation, because her prayers were between her and her gods. Too often, "friends" end conversations by telling me they'll prey for me. The rest of them are primitive words in the quest for understanding and definition, so I write them off.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3620
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.