Agnostic.com

11 17

LINK Being religious is no longer a trend for teens, research shows – HS Insider

Thank God!! Oh wait.... Thank DAWG! Thank goodness, good news...

HippieChick58 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was atheist by the time I was a teen. At 16, I figured out that it's all BS, and that was back in the '80s. When I first got on FB, I recall getting a message from a hs classmate asking me: "are you the one I remember from hs as being the die hard atheist?" I responded, why yes, and I'm currently attending a national atheist conference in NY! It made me so proud that that's the main thing he remembered about me.

I missed this one. The NONES grow stronger 😉

Although it is not news, it is music to my ears.

I watched this programme and this religious woman said "there are children out there who have never heard of Jesus." I was thinking I wish I was one of them.

That's good news. It is my observation that as parents lose the super control they once had on their children that these children have less of the old superstitions of parents. Children are then less likely to follow passed on god beliefs and also have less prejudice racially. Indoctrination is not as likely today as it was before.

bwa ha I had the same response (thank god) 🙂

It might be that we will a religion free society. I look forward to day when us Atheists out number the religious fools.

Can't wait for that day.

This article seems to take the viewpoint that the drop in being religious is a problem.

bingst Level 8 June 17, 2019

The article cited within this one gives the following statement on their about page.

"Barna Group provides spiritual influencers with credible knowledge and clear thinking, enabling them to navigate a complex and changing culture."

Hah!
[barna.com]

@bingst I skimmed the article, but did notice that some of the concerns were echoed by my religious cousin, who was told this by his pastor. There was apparently a sermon on Generation Z losing faith, etc., and if trends continue, the number of believers will continue to dwindle.

I just graded 80 argumentative essays for 9th grade Honors English, and my sense is that this is true. I only had one student float religious support in an essay, while last year I had 3 or 4 (and this year the single essay only used it for one supporting reason, and when I pointed out religious support should be avoided as anyone who agrees with your religion would already agree with your argument...she changed it with no complaint). This year I must have had 5-10 essays on trans rights (all in favor of the rights). I had one essay that said the juvenile death penalty should be lowered to 13...with no evidence but lots of claims (which I suspected was religiously motivated). I had no essays on "gun rights" and had one or two of those last year.

Last year I had a kid who wrote an essay on how Israel should belong to the Jews. He put the essay off for so long that by the time I knew his topic, he was half way done (well, at least he had words on half the pages). It was mostly bible quotes and things he had heard in church as support. I told him the same thing--that he needs to avoid religious support because those who accept that support are likely already in agreement with him. Unfortunately, he then used Jewish religious support, and that was all. He did not pass the essay but it was a complete mess in addition to those major problems anyway.

A few years ago a girl in my regular English class made a joke that in math class, she put "Jesus" for every math problem because "Jesus is the answer to everything". I guess that's a ha-ha joke for math, but in English it is not unheard of for students to "support" their claims in argumentative/persuasive essays with tons of bible quotes and expect it to be acceptable. It's really the laziest thinking possible parading as some kind of slam dunk. As Hitchens used to say, it is a contemptible way of arguing. (Many students have never even tried to think rationally and critically about certain issues because they have been told what to think and that that is what god wants. Disabusing them of those ingrained indoctrinations can be daunting.)

What was the topic for the essay? Or was the assignment more open, where they chose a topic, took a side, and were expected to cite any resources used? Regardless, I'm always happy to see religion-free teachers in schools! I've been fortunate that most of my teachers, while in grade school, had seemed to mostly put their personal beliefs to the side in favor of sticking to the curriculum. But too many places, especially from what I hear of the school systems in Texas, where I live now but never went to grade school.

@DaveBA5150 The assignment was an argumentative essay, and they were allowed to choose their own topic. We have an online resource our school purchases, so it has a few hundred topics with multiple articles to read, etc., and it includes all "hot topics" and more (even a few oddballs like "the 1996 presidential election" and "milk alternatives" ). The only restriction I put on it was no essays on abortion, and they had to run their topic by me first before beginning (to be sure it is something they can actually write an essay on--occasionally they will just randomly pick something I know they have no interest in and won't have enough time to learn enough about to write a competent essay before it is due).

They craft their thesis with a limited subject, a precise opinion, and a blueprint of supporting reasons. So they have to take a clear position on a limited subject with three main reasons of support, and their position has to be such that some fairly reasonable people out in the world disagree with them (I say "fairly reasonable" because usually the kids think if someone disagrees with their position, they have to be unreasonable). Often students want to make it as easy as possible by saying something like, "Human trafficking is bad". No one will likely disagree with that except human traffickers.

I guide the students through their essays as they write in real time on google docs (at least until each of their essays is a couple of pages long, at which point there isn't enough time to really do that). In any case, I often push back on their arguments/evidence as they go in margin notes. Argumentative essays also have a counter argument paragraph in which they briefly (and honestly) give the opposing view, and then explain why that view/argument is wrong. (Invariably students mischaracterize the opposing view, and I have to call them on that also.)

So the reason I exclude "abortion" as a topic is because pushing back on either of the two positions students always take on that issue instantly causes headaches I do not want. I've heard horror stories of religious parents calling the teacher and asking if the teacher accepts the bible, etc., at which point the purpose of the essay is completely undermined not only for that one student, but for the entire class...and sometimes beyond. If kids get the idea that they don't even have to attempt an argument, but float a bunch of bible quotes, I've completely failed as a teacher. (And the pro-choice papers invariably consist of only how terrible religious people are for opposing abortion...rather than grappling with the issue itself. And pushing back against THAT instantly labels me a religious weirdo, at which point I have to explain/defend myself...and I don't have enough energy for that.)

@uuberdude I distill that all down (at the 9th grade honors level) to the fact that they must have evidence to support their reasons, and that their tone/attitude must not carry any weight of their "argument". I did have one student that said aloud that the only reason we can't put our snarky attitude in our papers is because this is in school, but in real life everyone argues with attitude. (I'm hoping he sees that as a bad thing, but I don't know. I didn't have enough time at the end of the year to get into things much more deeply than I had already waded.)

Teens don't take kindly when being forced to conform to religion. In fact they're not interested. Muslims on the other hand are forced to conform or else serious consequences for the kids up to their teens, to grown adults. My son has a friend who is Muslim. He got straight As in his final year last year. His father has forced him to take the entire year or two off to learn the Quran word for word and follow all the ways of islam, go for pilgrimage, and then study. That is heavy!!!

If the kid is in America, there is no forcing an adult to do anything. Of course, if college money is attached, or family relationships, he might feel forced. But if he had straight A's, college money shouldn't be a problem.

@altschmerz
My son and I are Atheists and his parents know that. They've banned the son from going to movies with my son for an entire year. How crazy is that?

@greyeyed123
They're wealthy people. The son feels trapped. He shares my son's outlook to life but told my son he'll be disowned. It's not so easy to be accepted with straight As in South Africa if you're Muslim or Indian. We're not seen as affirmative action cases. so straight As doesn't count for us. Hopefully the son will become another Ali Rizvi.
My older son struggled to obtain a job in SA even with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering. A Maths and Science Boffin! seems they're looking for average, not talent.

My father disowned me in high school for not being subservient enough. I thanked him and walked. I slept in a friend's basement and got a scholarship for college. Incidentally, my father also stole my college fund that I personally worked for that had enough money for 1 1/2 years of college.

@ldheinz
That is beyond words, that your father could stoop so low. I hope you excelled in life though regardless.
I on the other hand was accepted on a full medical scholarship to the UK in1979. ... but my fate was a bit different. The Apartheid Govt In South Africa refused to give my passport.

@TimeOutForMe, years later he asked me why I was upset with him. I said that it had something to do with him throwing me in jail for objecting to his stealing my life savings to keep me from going to college. His response surprised me. He just got a confused look on his face and denied it ever happened. He really believed that it didn't happen. That helps me to understand christians, and how they can deny what they know is true, that their beliefs are obvious BS. It's about what they wish was true, not what they know is true. Knowledge is something to be avoided because it interferes with belief.

@ldheinz
Religious people HIDE behind their religion. Like the pastor that got off lightly for raping his adoptive daughter. Courts are in favour of their so-called faith then and now. The victim remain the victim. How sick is that?: They're raped by faith which is their escape.

@TimeOutForMe, I would have said that crap like that is in the past, but in Tennessee, the governor declared last Saturday to be Nathan Bedford Forrest day, honoring the accomplishments of the founder and first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, an organization noted for lynching "uppity" blacks. So much for my vacation there.

@TimeOutForMe, yes, religious people quickly realize that it's much easier to believe than behave.

@ldheinz
It's like rewarding a kid for bad behaviour, just worse. This wizard lynched human beings!!!

It's getting harder and harder to fool teens.

Let us hope it's true. Because the b*** out there just getting deeper.🤬

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362048
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.