Agnostic.com

7 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i admire women who don't want children. but all i can say is you had better be saving for your retirement. b/c demographics are going to make old age very difficult in the not too distant future.

There is a war on women in this country. I never had a biological clock so there was no pressing need to reproduce. I did get the family pressure but by the time I was 40 they figured it was not going to happen.
By society do they mean the white religious among us? Seems everything scares them, it is not good to live in fear but I can't seem to get that thru to the buybull thumpers.

Declining white birth rates are behind the Republican push to ban abortions. They fear the coming minority majority.

I support women who say no to having kids.

Like them, I was adamant about not having children. Pressure to have kids was relentless and absurd:

"You both are so intelligent, your genes need to be in the gene pool."

But at 34, my biological clock began ticking. I wrote a letter to Newsweek in response to an article about this phenomenon. After a phone interview, I was quoted extensively in "The Biological Clock."

For a year, Terry and I debated about having a child. During the 10 minutes we agreed, we conceived.

Claire was born when I was 35 and Terry was 40.

I got rid of "The Biological Clock" book because it would have hurt Claire to read what I said about not wanting a child.

One of my girls has been adamant about not wanting kid since high school. She is now 31. She is the most adoring, generous auntie that you could imagine. I never pressured any of my girls to have kids, in fact I was more on the take your time side. I think it worked out well. The youngest had her first child at 25, and the oldest at 33. Considering the toll that babies take on relationships, your body, your finances, and your time, every individual needs to make a decision that is right for them. One size does not fit all.

It's definetly a good thing.

1of5 Level 8 June 19, 2019

"How many kids do you have?"

"None"

"Why not?"

If I had a nickel for every time that conversation happened hahahahahahaha. But seriously it was my choice and the assumption or hint that there is something wrong with me for that choice is insulting at best.

MizJ Level 8 June 19, 2019

I'd be rich if I'd gotten a nickel every time for this exchange:

"How many kids do you have?"

"None"

"That you know of", usually accompanied by a wink, nod, or some other idiotic gesture.

"No, I'm not a complete asshole".

Usually I don't have to talk to them after that.

Capitalism especially requires constant, and more, new consumers.

The human race will survive!

Yes, of course, but it will look different, browner, darker, less reverent to male dominated instirutions like churches and industry.

@Spinliesel all Good things!

@Spinliesel oh I didn't realize Those colors weren't available for Humans..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:362907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.