Agnostic.com

11 5

Doctors make terrible patients. Or is it just men?

So, my boyfriend Bill, MD, has been sick. For the past week, his texts have been funny.

June 15

"I'm sorry for ignoring you, baby. I have been sick as f uck. I got nailed by some sort of disease from one of my patients, and I have been laid up and feeling pretty miserable."

"It came partly from exhaustion. I was on call for for a week, and covering a very large group. I went six days without more than two or three hours of sleep a night, the phone was ringing and I was upset and aggravated all night long. I just became too exhausted and got a bad cold/bronchitis. Almost to pneumonia."

"Between my phone, the neighbor's idiot barking dog, and whatever, it was like torture. I'm sure John McCain had it worse, but what I went through was terrible."

Of course, Bill did not see a doctor. After all, he has a stethoscope.

June 16

"Good morning, I feel much better. Today I just feel like crap. A major improvement!"

June 17

"Sara (nurse) wanted me to go home today, said that I don't look like I was well enough to work. I almost went along with her, but my work ethic is killing me, I can't leave!"

June 18

How are you feeling today? I asked.

"Very non-excellent. LOL. I resisted the urge to go for a (bicycle) ride today. I really just need to catch up on my rest.

"I'm going to sell snot on eBay and make a fortune."

LiterateHiker 9 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just to be fair,

1 Nurses (mostly women) also make terrible patients
2 Seeing a Dr likely would likely have changed the course of his illness, exactly none. He did the right thing by resting and letting his body handle it.

Burner Level 6 June 22, 2019

I support bill . A bad cold is not reason to see a doctor . Not today , not if u are healthy otherways and not w chronic conditions or chronic meds . Over the counter meds , etc etc . Pneumonia is not the plegue either 😂 And u can't get pneumonia from exhaustion . A viral pneumonia is not a huge deal , again , over the counter supportive meds and keep going ✌🏻

What disturbs me is that he went to work while he was sick - hope he wasn’t seeing patients!

@Haemish1

I told Bill to go home because he could get patients and employees sick.

He ignored my advice.

@LiterateHiker
My thoughts exactly!

Just think how many people don't even have sick leave.

I think it is general over all but people who are self employed or in a profession where your always on call,We tend to abuse are selves that way and not take the required time off as we ,as your always have some one to look after,,But who looks after the look afterer ?

This is not a gender issue. I know I'm a good patient. In 94 when I was in the hospital for a month, I had all of the nurses going out of there way to do things for me, because l never complained and I made them laugh. I have been with women who were just bitchy the whole time they had the flu or a cold. And yes, most doctors, male and female, are lousy patients because they feel entitled.

Yeah, it's just male's, unless of course it happens to be a female who is ill and it's the male making the observation.

What next? Women drivers??? 😟

Gareth Level 7 June 20, 2019

@LiterateHiker . How dare you 'like' my post - it was a dig at you gender stereotyping. You are supposed to be frothing at the mouth! 😉

@Gareth

Hilarious!

@LiterateHiker Grrrrrrr!

I've been married to 2 nurses - its the field in general, not the gender.

1of5 Level 8 June 20, 2019

I’ve taken care of doctors; I’m an RN. In general I like them. I respect them, yet I don’t take shit from them. They are human, it’s an MD, not a GOD, as some of them think. And the one who graduates dead last is still called ‘doctor’, lol.
As a patient, I get more respect because I’m a nurse, I know it and I try not to abuse that privilege.

@CarolinaGirl60

A doctor, my first husband thought M.D. stood for Medical Deity.

@LiterateHiker I hear you. Surgeons are the worst, but any doc can fall victim to it!

Yeah medical practitioners do make poor patients

bobwjr Level 10 June 20, 2019

Man Flu..........

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:363387
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.