Agnostic.com

5 0

Considering you don't believe in God or heaven, are you afraid of dying? If not, how have you made peace with the fact that we will all cease to exist?

Kaybee01 4 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Death is the end of life..we're all born to die..so make the best of the inbetween time.

I'm fine with it - not afraid of dying - afraid of living soemtiems in this political mess we all seem to be in - I might not want to have a lot of pain in my dying process but that wouldnt really be in my gift to choose either way - No I'm cool with death!

No. I don't see anything to make peace with. Life just is what it is. And I just am what I am ... a mortal ordinary being doing my best.

It's true that one has to accept and integrate the fact of their mortality (or, though I don't recommend it -- sublimate and ignore it). It's a thing that we humans are uniquely aware of. But once you do that, no, it's not a big deal.

No. All worries about death disappeared when my son died. I’m now glad we all die, and I gain comfort knowing that eventually everyone will be dead.

I'm sorry for your loss.

After one (or more!) of your loved ones die, death becomes an old friend ... or at least a frenemy. It is not mysterious anymore. I've had several such losses, as has my wife, and we agree that it's helpful to be aware that all things are impermanent. It still hurts to lose someone (most recently, I lost my adult son also) and it's still a lot to process but at least it's not outside the realm of what's "supposed" to happen and all the other useless expectations that religion gives us. That only makes it worse, and leads to the useless / meaningless / unanswerable "why" questions.

@mordant I’m sorry, it’s the worst hell imaginable

I have no fear of being dead, hope to have control of the when but don't worry about it at all. There's too much that is out of my hands and I can't do a single thing about other's actions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.