Agnostic.com

3 3

I've developed the same problem that Eric Clapton has. Eczema on my hands. I went to the doctor this morning to start treatments for it. If I don't get it under control, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to continue playing guitar. I've always said that losing my hair would not be a problem for me but, to not be able to play guitar anymore would be devastating.

Duke 8 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have battled eczema for ten years, but never on my hands. I tried several prescriptions which didn't even keep it at bay. What I found that worked the best for me was any kind of lotion with oatmeal and use it as often as you can. It doesn't need to be a name brand but when I use it consistently, it has made a significant difference. There is no cure for this and dermatologists don't even know how to deal with it. Good luck!

One of our best writers of folksongs, John Warner developed arthritis in his hands and so for a while didn't play until someone suggested that he take up the mandolin.

Failing that there is a program under development called Imitone that will convert your singing to synthesised instruments. You'll be ok so long as you don't end up like Sir Lancelot - tongueless after failing to notice that the chastity belt was a cunningly disguised guillotine!

@Duke, very sorry to hear this. I always encourage people to do research themselves on whatever their condition is, because it will improve not only their relationship with their doctor but the treatment/attention they receive.

Maybe you have already done some research and if you have great! If not, here is just one link that may be helpful. Good luck!!

[nationaleczema.org]

I'm certain this is a eaction to the new Kevlar gloves I'm required to wear at work.

I have extremely sensitive skin. I can't even use liquid fabric softener or I turn into one big rash.

@Duke, so have you been able to find natural non-chemical replacements? I use white vinegar for a soften or it's more just to reduce static and even though it might sound like an irritant, it's not, and there is no odor (that's what most people worry about). Evoo and Coconut oil are both used for skin moisturizers. You may want to check out recipes or just use them straight from the bottle. Goggle natural cures for eczema. It wouldn't hurt to check it out. Check out the link above, because even though usually it's genetic, there are many different things that can "trigger" the reaction. It very well may be the gloves, but check out the list, you may find some other things that might be a trigger.

I'm bit of a natural nut, so that's where I lean, rather than medications. Most doctors will even agree to natural therapies, but most people never ask or talk to them about it.

@BeeHappy I'm.not really concerned whether it's pharmaceutical or natural as long as it's something that works. And believe me, I've already tried all of the natural options I could find. It's not like this just developed. But, regardless of what I've tried it's been getting progressively worse. So, now it's time to let medical science do their thing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.