Agnostic.com

41 3

Were You Raised In A Single Parent Home Or 2 Parent Home

I was curious what is the make up of people in our community who were raised in a 2 parent home compared to a single parent home.

If you come from a Single parent home, what were the circumstances? Did your parent never marry? Did your Parents Divorce? Or Is your parent a widow?

My parents were married for nearly 40 years and Divorced when I was an adult and living on my own.

When my dad was terminally ill with colon cancer, my mom divorced him because she didnt want to be a widow.
I was like....wow Mom!

Please share with me your family unit growing up.

• 64 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 26 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 1 vote
twshield 8 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised in a 2 parent home; but my dad is not my biological father. He adopted me when I was very young.

Raised by mom and dad until age ten..
Then raised by grandparents thereafter..

Single parent at age 11

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 14, 2020

Although I had two parents, my father was a merchant seaman and was out to sea most of the time. So, I usually only had one parent at home.

My father died when I was eight so I was brought up by my mother. I know times were hard but she did a brilliant job, heaven knows how!

Mom doesn't want to say who my Dad was. Grandparents helped out some prevented me from being a complete latch key kid.

Two parent home until I was 8, then my parents divorced because they couldn’t make it work. Then with my dad as a single parent home until I was 16, at which point we went to live together with my dad’s new girlfriend and two kids my age.

Technically, first in a cold war 2 parent home for 14y.

Then two single parent homes for the rest.

2 parent home, though they divorced when I was in my early 20's. My youngest brother was fresh out of high school and leaving the nest. They then decided there wasn't any reason to stay together.

Though I was raised in a 2 parent home, that is not to imply that everything was rosy. Through my teen years up until I was 18 and moved out, my home was the epitome of dysfunction. Parents fought like cats and dogs over, get this, religion. In the year after I was gone, they divorced.

Though I was raised in a 2 parent home, that is not to imply that everything was rosy. Through my teen years up until I was 18 and moved out, my home was the epitome of dysfunction. Parents fought like cats and dogs over, get this, religion. In the year after I was gone, they divorced.

Technically two 2 parent homes.
My parents divorced when I was 6, both remarried within 6 months. I'd known my step mom since 3 and my step dad since 4. Spent 12 years getting driven across town to be traded on the weekends.

Mom's side: very a southern Baptist (drinking bad, smoking bad, cursing bad, sex was a topic we don't discuss EVER). Less well off than my dad's side, but my step father loved tech, so we got the internet when it became available to the public.

Dads side: non religious, but sent me to church because mom insisted, they drank, step mom smoked, and we watched actual movies, had conversations about life and things that mattered. Drugs were a taboo never to be caught with, but they did teach me the ins and outs of "right/wrong"

I got a mix of both sides of the fence on religon, politics, how to interact with others, and many other topics. It just took me getting old enough to move out on my own to finally be able to make up my own mind about all of it.

Mother with Stepfather.

They divorced when I was about 5. Y chromosome donor couldn’t stop donating them to other people.

@twshield yeah well that’s about all he did.

My mom was a Great Dane, and my dad was a Chihuahua. (He stood on a chair).

No pack of wolves option?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.