Agnostic.com

68 4

What type of death do you most fear?

Death by fire or death by drowning are my two biggest fears. Believe it or not being eaten alive is scary but not my #1fear. When I'm dead I want to be eaten. Give back something to the Earth for all I have taken.

paul1967 8 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do not fear it at all. The human body will remove you from the extreme situation as it always does. A nasty death will put the brain into a state of shock and you will not be aware of the event itself. To conquer death all we have to do is die. That is a line from JC Superstar

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 21, 2018

@maturin1919 I do not know, we have never spoken to one who went through it. But yes I firmly believe the mind removes us from the trauma. Like with an accident you see about to happen to you. Time moves slow and the detail is incredible. If you had an arm severed you would be in shock and not feel the pain. Pain is felt by a brain that has the facility to do so. IN emergency or trauma, the brain takes energy away from all things that are not relevant to survival.

Being reduced to a state of physical inability to care for myself, mind still intact.

I had a close friend who was a quadriplegic, and he died a slow and painful death. His mind was sharp as ever. This also is my fear....

Eaten by fire ants.

I literally thought that just as I scrolled down to your post. I had been thinking about being nibbled to death by corgis

I just heard the news today of a local fishing boat with a crew of 7 on board that I knew well, that capsized in heavy weather and sank with only one lad escaping, the rest probably trapped in the vessel as it went down, This to me would be one of the worst ways to die, a slow suffocation trapped and unable to escape.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friends

So sorry, too! Yes, that's a terrible way to die!

Maybe I'm weird but I think drowning sounds kind of peaceful. I mean it would have to be a big body of water and I'm sure there would be a moment of panic. Anyway, I agree with everyone....slow and painful. I also fear dying of Alzheimer's. In runs in my family on both sides. It's not the death I fear but being a burden on my family.

Mindi Level 3 Oct 27, 2017

Drowning could take several minutes though. My mom and grandma had Alzheimers, and whenever I forget something, I start to worry.

I think the body's panic reaction would probably make drowning extremely painful. Stroke would be painless and quick. If self inflicted insulin OD might be an easy way out.

Ooh, good question! Drowning is certainly scary — panic sets in pretty fast when you can't get oxygen — but it's a relatively quick death. Fire seems like it would hurt a lot, but I've heard that most people in a fire die from smoke inhalation long before the flames reach them (though being burned at the stake would be a different matter). I think cancer would top my list, because you don't pass out from the pain, it's long and drawn out, and you have to think about it day after day while enduring exhaustion and increasing pain, and eventually organ failure. And you watch those around you, with pitying eyes, experience your decline, grieving for you before you've even died, doing everything for you as you get sicker, weaker, and more delirious, even resenting you for putting them through the ordeal. That's what scares me. If I ever have an incurable wasting disease, I'll end my own life long before I become too sick and a serious burden on my loved ones.

I agree, Resserts I'd end my life before putting my family through hell.

Oh, I don't know....I have terminal cancer, and it's not too bad--yet. The medications I'm on do a pretty good job of controlling symptoms. I am still able to function normally, and people who find out I have cancer are always surprised, because I don't look like it--yet, lol.

When it gets to the point where nothing works anymore, the doctor has already said painkillers will be available to keep me comfortable. And my daughter is a hospice nurse, so that works out pretty well. We have it all worked out to cause the least burden for everyone.

btw, when I was diagnosed, they gave me 2-3 years to live....that was in July 2014, so it's been 3 1/2 years already. I'm shooting for 2020; I'll see how close I get.

An added benefit to this long death is that my loved ones and I can prepare emotionally and financially, and say everything we want to say to each other. I'm glad I can give them this closure.

Anything that is slow and drawn-out, like being swallowed by a snake, being on fire, suffocating, or drowning. I'd rather have something quick and short, like falling from a plane.

Give my 'dying in my sleep' any day!

I fear being killed by a bible believing religious fanatic. Be it a Christian, Jew, Muslim, or any other person who believes in a higher power. A true bible follower to be sure. That would be my most horrible death. Thou shall not kill...what a joke!

LMAO

Being buried alive. I'm quite claustrophobic.

my fear also

I fear dying alone.

Everyone dies alone. Even surrounded by loved ones you are the only one passing

Cancer, just lost a friend to it.

Tirol Level 2 Oct 8, 2017

Awe, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure your friend will be missed.

dying alone and forgotten

I don't fear a natural death, I look forward to it because I have never done it before and it is a once in a lifetime experience but saying that, I am in no hurry for it to arrive, I still have plenty of living still to do.
The type of death that I fear is a death caused by some knob head who cares about nobody but themselves, a drunk driver, an armed criminal, accidental death whilst at work (my elder brother died this way in 1978 when he was crushed by a train).
Death is inevitable and after a long life, it will be welcome.

Oh gosh, Meister , that's terrible about your brother!!! I'm so sorry!

I fear no death it is a path we must all take it's the one thing that is guaranteed

You say that, but there must be a path to death that would be less desirable than another. For example, dying after making love is better than being devoured by an army of Australian's jack jumper ants. Or tied upside down on a tree while a wild boar eats your face away. There are many ways that should cause you to fear death and the ones I just listed are insignificant compared to some other terrifying scenarios out there, from people with a far more warped mind than my own.

Being the fattest survivor of an airplane crash on a desert island as everyone turns to cannibalism

Lmao!

Fire and being eaten by an animal.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 25, 2018

Burning to death is actually pretty quick.
I witnessed 3 individuals burn to death while I was in Iraq and surprisingly there was no screaming
Come to find it out it's not the fire that kills you...it's your own body. When you start inhaling flames your body closes the airway in an effort to protect itself...so you don't burn to death... you suffocate...and plus you would be very surprised how much trauma the body can endure and you feel no pain because of shock.

Fire and drowning are mine as well.

A forgotten one.

A long drawn out, painful death or being physically incapacitated but mentally alert (locked in syndrome).

Slow death by an incurable disease that leaves my body and/or my mind deteriorating while my family has to watch.

Something painful or that would leave me open to abuse, like dementia. Otherwise I don't fear death.

I'm answering my own question because I had another way I would not want to die. Being trapped underground alone with no hope of rescue in a dark cave, sandwiched and stuck between two rocks unable to move. Left alone to slowly die of dehydration and loneliness.

Dying totally unexpectedly with the rest of my life ahead of me and my last thought being, "But I had so much left to do..."

Slow and painful.

Dying alone. The physical part doesn't scare me, it's the emotional life that leads up to death that absolutely scares the ever-loving crap out of me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.