Agnostic.com

7 4

My opinions have changed on satirical news stories

In the era of fake news on Social Media I have less respect for satirical pieces that look like news. There are to many different entities to keep track of and it breeds misinformation.

The administrator in one of my athiest facebook groups posted a link to an article today that was satire, and posted it as news. It was based on Sweden banning new religious schools but went alot farther and said it was illegal to take kids to church in Sweden. The writer is a known writer of satire. He blasted me with a bunch of links from sketchy far left sites to back it up but none of them made the same outlandish claims. I showed him the guys satire page and explained the differences in the original article from the others but he seems to have moved on to posting other very loud clickbaity articles.

I used to be a fan of The Onion but now days it's harder to distinguish from real news.. Sure it is funny but it leads perfectly intelligent people to believe it is true, especially since it is usually based on truth. It also opens up the left to being accused of the same dishonest practices that are so rampant in right wing media that intentionally spread hate and misinformation. It delegitamizes the fight against such practices.

[patheos.com]

MsAl 8 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Even when the news is a fictional satire, to me it just feels good to imagine a country where children by law have to read a quote by George Carlin, if they have to enter a religious building. It sounds like the fictional law maintains a healthy social balance. It might be to the author's advantage to declare somewhere in his satire that it is fictional.

Seems like the simple solution is for satire to simply be labeled as such.

Yes true but anyone can post what they want. It's not that simple. This one is kind of labeled as such, although not until you click through. It never specifically states it is false but it's in the "laughing in disbelief" section of a wider publication. Many people just share as fact if they like the headline and photo.

@MsAl So what is it you think should be done?

I love satire. Even though sometimes I have to check the source to be sure. It's the only way I can laugh at what is really going on. That being said I can see where people get confused. Especially people who get their 'news' from FB.

I'm not upset that I am confused. I fact check all the info I get there, which is substantial. It depends on if you follow legitimate news sources. I am mad that it spreads misinformation into the zeitgeist and causes mistrust of legitimate news sources and science.

@MsAl , I wasn't disagreeing. Just saying I've always liked satire.
The statistics say 64% of people only get their news from FB. I'm sure that's NOT the people on this site.

@freeofgod I get alot of my news on Facebook but I follow legitimate news and science sources and always fact check if I don't know the source.

I do see alot of the same click baity stuff here, and have found some outright false ones too. Its tempting to click and share if you agree with the opinion. I'm pretty sure that article would get at least a few likes and giddy comments if I posted here.

I get my news from Facebook... but, it’s from postings by Time, the NYT, WAPO, and other sources provided by friends. Those sources that are unfamiliar, I read but then Google to verify. I. Discount memes, “factual” posts by individuals and source I didn’t know and can’t verify. Simply put, I use Facebook as a news aggregator.

"The administrator in one of my facebook groups"
LMFAO. Wtf? Omfg!
Do you not know or not care that fakebook sold your data to the Russian to help elect Drumpf?

??
Being in athiest Facebook groups isn't what helped get Trump elected. The Russians were successful because people didnt fact check and shared and believed their fake stuff...

The admin of this group seems a bit quick to share far left inflamitory articles but he doesn't seem to be a bot. I don't doubt some of the stuff he shares could be Russian stuff made to rile people up. They apparently do make some leftwing stuff too although not as much. This article was written by a satire writer so its a little different. I don't like it because it delegitimizes the fight against those types of bad practices.

I remember Cracked magazine as kid. I've kind of grown up since then. My humor time is now limited..... unfortunately, I'm stretched thin. When hearing the "fakenews" spiel from one side, it does cause some self awareness, creates a line to cross. Or not to cross.

As you stated, it deligitimizes the fight against the spread of misinformation. If so may are confused, why add to the confusion? You have become aware of this. Good Job!

twill Level 7 July 1, 2019

Yes, that is crossing the line between humour and false information.

I was skeptical when I read that they weren't allowed to bring kids in churches. Just seems like I would have heard about it.

Yeah, that's bad. I knew The Onion and Waterford Whisper News were satirical magazines so I knew what I was dealing with, but these other guys who aren't upfront....well, I think they're despicable.

I agree...many just skim and read a few words and run with it...not everyone understands or even realize what is satire and humor...and sometimes the humor does nothing but minimize the severity of the news...I wish there was a lot less of that and more brief, factual, and to the point news with no additional viewpoints or analysis...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.