Agnostic.com

60 9

Should euthanasia or "death with dignity" be available to anyone upon demand under controlled circumstances?

When I hear people talk about the difficulty of euthanizing their elderly or desperately ill pets I immediately think that at least we accord our pets a more logical and merciful death than we do to our fellow humans. The wonders of modern medicine can be as much a curse as they are a blessing. We live in an unprecedented time when we can know what will probably kill us twenty years down the line. To modern doctors death is the enemy which must be fought to the last possible moment. Little concern is given to the quality of life of the patient/victim, only that they be kept alive.
The conspiracy is broad-based. Big Pharma wants to keep you on maintenance drugs and never seems to come up with cures. A patient cured is a customer lost. If they stumbled across a $1 cure for AIDS or cancer would we ever hear of it? And then there are the private, for-profit health insurance companies that are really legalized extortion and protection rackets sucking billions out of the health-care system for administration, profits and to pay lawyers to find ways not to honor the benefits spelled out in their policies. The patient is but a scrap of meat ground up in the gears of corporate medicine. If we truly have free will shouldn't we be allowed to opt out?
There are many reasons someone may want to take advantage of doctor assisted suicide. One would be to avoid a prolonged and torturous illness. Another might be to avoid being a burden to loved ones. There are also those who are alone in life and don't want to go through the steady drip, drip of watching their bodies deteriorate due to age. If the request is initiated by the patient, there is no outside duress and the patient has thought through their decision with the consul of medical professionals what gives the state the right to deny such a request no matter what the circumstances? Like back alley abortions unassisted suicides can be messy affairs that can lead to unintended consequences like paralysis or brain damage. The primary reason for legalizing abortions was to end horrific atrocities committed in non-clinical circumstances. Wouldn't the same argument apply to suicide?

GareBear517 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes ,it should be available to you.

I don't see how assisted suicide can work fairly without universal health care. Health care has to be equally accessible to all before death with dignity can be equally accessible to all. Medically assisted death with dignity has always been available to the wealthy and the powerful, it's the poor that have had to deal with this problem on their own and with all the pitfalls that come with that.

They’ve been argueing in the Dutch Parliament over a ‘fulfilled life’ law, to extend the euthanasia law which allows bypassing a life of suffering, so that anyone who considers they have lived a fulfilled life can opt for euthanasia. I’m entirely in favour myself, but they haven’t been able to sort out the terms of the law in a way that satisfies a majority.

I have wrote my story on topic I am not afraid to die...I have hiv 27yrs and in great health. My husband died 19 yrs ago with hiv. The torture he went through is unimaginable. When I am very sick and can't take care of myself that will be my time to die.NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. I have saved many pills over the years I just want to gently go to sleep forever.

I have wrote my story on topic I am not afraid to die...I have hiv 27yrs and in great health. My husband died 19 yrs ago with hiv. The torture he went through is unimaginable. When I am very sick and can't take care of myself that will be my time to die.NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME. I have saved many pills over the years I just want to gently go to sleep forever.

Sorry don't know why comment came up twice

Read my novel around this topic 'The Ladies' Suicide Club'. I explore the pros and cons or assisted suicide and end-of-life plans. In various parts of the world more and more people are moving towards the idea that we should have as much control over our deaths as we do over our lives, and medically assisted suicide is now legal in about a dozen countries and US states, though in a lot of them only for people with terminal illnesses or life-limiting conditions. Saving up prescription drugs is not the best way to go. it is too easy to fail and you risk ending up in a worse state than before. There are drugs that will do the job efficiently, but as someone else pointed out, the most effective and painless is a helium or nitrogen bag. The are several organisations that give very good advice and information - My Death, My Decision, Exit Internatiuonal, Friends at the End, are three that I know.

I feel that if you want to stop living no matter the circumstances doesnt matter if you are healthy or dying who are we to say no? As long as you can pass a mental health test to say you're in a clear state of mind who are we to say no to their request. They obviously understand what they are doing. I mean if that was an option I would be the first to sign up.

Every person has the right to decide to end their life without interference.

When life has become too hard to bear, not enjoyable, not happy and painful, and you are of sound mind, then ending it should be your decision and proper aid should be available without legal persecution.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 2, 2018

Why controlled? I will do with my life what I consider is best for me, and the people I care about. I will control it.

Tig3r Level 3 Dec 27, 2017

I believe so. I was influenced in much of my thinking by Robert Heinlein growing up. Time Enough For Love is as much my bible as anything else. The ultimate freedom is having the choice to pick your time to pass on.

I have read many arguments for and against the various levels of euthanasia.

There was a recent article about making it more easily accessible here [dailymail.co.uk].

The suicide pod is a bit silly. It is much easier to use nitrogen or helium with a plastic bag. But it would be much better and more pleasant and dignified if we could just go to the doctor and say we have had enough and want to end our lives.

If I have a terminal disease that includes symptoms of extreme pain, and anesthesia is not working, I want the right and means to end my life.

In most countries you don't have that right. You can be screaming in agony at the end of terminal cancer for days, because the analgesia is no longer working and the doctor will not put you out of your misery because he is afraid of prosecution. Do not believe those who say we can control pain these days. We can only do it up to a point and the doctors will refuse to increase the dose of, for example, morphine, because they know that if they increase it enough to remove the pain, it will kill the patient.

Absolutely yes. This is a no-brainer, IMO.

Having been the first person to put Dr. Kevorkian in jail in Michigan I know a thing or two about assisted suicide. In answer to the question, we all have the same "right to die" so I believe that the laws allowing assisted suicide for only those with six months to live violates the equal protection clause. The problem with any assisted suicide is that there is no way to regulate it. The only way you know that someone really wants to die is if they do it themselves. Freshman year in college in a philosophy course I saw a film of a guy who had 3rd degree burns over 60% of his body. The way they treat burn victims is to keep them in water to keep the burns moist. The problem is that it's stupidly painful. The guy was yelling "kill me, kill me." He got through the treatment and they played the tape back for him and asked, "did you really want to die/" and he said "of course not." You may not like how you have to kill yourself, stopping eating, bag over your head etc. but if you want to die you need to do it yourself. otherwise every one on one murder, the defendant just has to say, "he told me to kill him." Of course once it's regulated, it's no longer your choice, like in Oregon where you have to have two doctors say you're not crazy and a court to approve it. We have suicide hotlines because we think suicidal people have a mental defect--you can't have it both ways. Bottom line is that everyone, whether they have six months to live (apparently it's ok for them to be in excruciating pain in the 7th month) or just lost their family in the Oklahome Cith bombing and don't want t live anymore, has an equal right to die. By the way, please stop dragging animals into the discussion. We don't "treat animals better" animals can't commit suicide and need out our help.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

Incapacitated people can't commit suicide, either, and need our help! I wouldn't be proud to say I helped put Dr. Kevorkian in jail. He was blazing a path to humane treatment and mercy for the dying that can only be understood by secular humanists. I live in Oregon. The assisted suicide law on the books now is practically useless. The patient has to jump through hoops that would be daunting to a 25 yr. old in perfect health. I'm in poor health and have tried to make inquiries from my doctors in preparation for the time that will come. All I get is stonewalled. Why should I go out in bloody violence or terror when a peaceful death is possible? In Oregon, the patient has to be capable of administering the deadly dose himself, another ridiculous barrier for many.

Sorry for your struggles. Wasn't bragging about putting Kevorkian in jail, just suggesting that after a year and a half of research into assisted suicide I might know something about it. Everyone CAN commit suicide, as I said, you might not like how you have to do it. There is a reason the medical profession is against it: They took an oath to preserve life not end it. Kevorkian, the ghoul, was blazing a path for himself. He was pathologist and obsessed with death. If you look up Kevorkian's paintings you'll find one with Santa Claus coming down the chimney stomping on an infant. We need to push the medical profession to adequately treat pain, not sentence people to death. At the time I had the case and maybe still, in the Netherlands where assisted suicide was not prosecuted, people were wearing necklaces saying "don't kill me" because 60% of people in hospitals were killed without consent. Unfortunately it can't be adequately regulated. You don't want any regulations, unfortunately some medical professionals and family members who no longer want to care for family members will take advantage of no regulations. Hang in there!

@lerlo I don't understanbd why you say it can't be regulated. It seems to work fine in Switzerland and the Netherlands. Sadly switzerland is the only country which will allow medically assisted suicide for non-nationals, and it is expensive but there are plenty of safeguards to prevent misuse. Of course we can all find a way to end our lives if we are willing to upset lots of other people by doing it in a nasty, messy way, but why should we have to? Why can't we go with comfort and dignity when we want to?

@CeliaVL Just because there are laws doesn't mean it's regulated. In oregon if the judge and two psychiatrists say that you're suicidal, you can't do it? I would suggest reading my numerous responses if you're curious about the multitude of problems. When I had the case, the Netherlands didn't prosecute it and 60% of people were killed without consent and patients wore necklaces saying "please don't kill me."

@lerlo It looks as if you have been misled by some faith-based propaganda. Both the Dutch government and Dutch medical association have confirmed that 'Don't kill me' bracelets do not exist. They think Rick Santorum, who made the claim, may be confusing them with 'Do not resuscitate' bracelets, which are very common with old people. Always worth doing a fact check on extraordinary claims!

@CeliaVL Sorry to inject some truth here but of course the doctors doing the killing won't admit that involuntary euthanasia exists. Here are some facts: Dr. Herbert Hendin, an expert on Dutch euthanasia in Issues in Law and Medicine:
...a Protestant group also opposed to euthanasia, they distribute a “passport for life” that patients carry, indicating that in medical emergencies they do not want their lives terminated without their consent.
In "The Report of the Dutch Government Committee on Euthanasia, 7 Issues in Law and Medicine 339 (1991) Dr. Richard Fenigsen found that 14,691 cases of INVOLUNTARY euthanasia occurred annually in the Netherlands. Of the 8,100 cases where morphine was given in excessive doses with the intent to terminate life, 61% were done WITHOUT THE PATIENT'S CONSENT. (P.341) These cases were reported not as involuntary euthanasia but as "pain relief."

I researched euthanasia for a year and a half and I didn't get a 7-0 decision in the Michigan Supreme Court citing false facts. Please don't confuse me with Rick Santorum but of course you are allowed to believe whatever lets you sleep at night.

@lerlo I won't dispute your information since I haven't read it. I think you will find, though, that there is very strong support in numerous countries for changing the laws on pain relief in terminal illness, and medically assisted dying in cases of terminal and life-limiting illness. it used to be the case in the UK that terminally ill patients who were in severe and intractable pain were given doses of morphine which led directly to their death - that is, involuntary euthanasia. This was considered normal procedure and no-one objected. Since the Harold Shipman case and the vast increase in money-chasing litigation, however, doctors have become afraid to do this with the result that a considerable number of patients now spend their last days and even weeks screaming in agony and begging their families and doctors to put them out of their misery. The doctors are afraid to give them the dose of morphine that would be adequate for pain relief because they know that this dose will shorten the patient's life. It is all very well to say that we must improve our palliative care techniques, etc., but I think we need the option to choose to end our lives and to givbe doctors permission to do this when it is clearly the right thing. I would certainly have no objection to people carrying cards etc., saying that they wish to be resuscitated, treated, etc. In the UK this is the default position and you have to provide the paperwork if you do not want to be resuscitated, which can be complicated in emergency situations. The important thing is to make sure that your family know your wishes. I am sure we can find a way to meet everyone's needs and wishes if we show willingness to discuss it, but unfortunately many people don't want to accept that they are going to die.

@CeliaVL You realize you said that people were given morphine without consent, involuntary euthanasia, AND NO ONE COMPLAINED. Do you mean like the dead person? 🙂 Or the family of the dead person who no longer wanted the burden didn't complain 🙂 Doctors are supposed to do no harm and help people to live. Everyone has the right to suicide, even people who are not terminal. The only way you know that someone wants to kill themselves is if they do it themselves. I think we should focus more on developing ways to control pain. People can stop eating, drive their car off a cliff. If they are dying does it really matter how they do it--rather than force a profession which takes an oath not to cause harm to do it? By the way, if you give morphine to a patient with Lou Gehrig's disease it will ease their pain but it will suffocate them, why is that "dignified?"

@lerlo On that specific point, clearly, if you have Lou Gehrig's disease and wish to end your life, a more pleasant and dignified way of doing so needs to be found.I disagree that the only way to know if people really mean it is if they do it themselves - someone who is screaming in agony during their last days and begging to be put out of their misery is hardly in a position to do it themselves. I would be happy to let people do it themselves if they can be supplied legally with the means to do it in a decent and painless way. I would very much like to be able to go to the doctor and say 'Please can I have the drugs to end my life, and then do it myself at home, surrounded by family and friends. Not everyone has a car or a nearby cliff, and starving to death is very unpleasant and protracted for those watching.

I feel like we should be allowed to decide for ourselves. We should have our own freedom when
we are ready to die. You would need to make sure that you would be ready for sure.

I am hoping we become more civalisesx and euthanasia is an option avaiable to be in my old age. Dignity is what I hope for.

As a life-long dog owner I have faced the euthanasia of deeply loved ones many times. It is Necessary!
If I was a good daughter, I would have helped my Mom when she needed it. A Huge regret! If I had let a dog suffer like she suffered in her last days, I would rightly have been prosecuted.......

I personally believe euthanize should be available to all . sick or not. Who is to say that we must live in this world if we chose not too? I personally have considered and tried suicide several times. If i could get a doctor to assist me to do it right I would do it now. I have nobody to turn to and I'm in a bad situation. I am disabled and have diabetes and breathing problems. I am living with people that I though cared about me but have found out different. I am pretty much confined to my room and am not to eat here or do laundry. I am called "asshole" among other names. Was flipped the bird and told "fuck you" just yesterday. I am losing weight and my diabetes is out of control. I'm not eating right nor am I taking meds due to not eating. My sugar is running 400 + due to eating junk. I need to find another place to live as they want me out of here . I can't afford to move as they get half my ss check for rent and the other half goes to car payment and insurance. I can let vehicle go or not make payment as I need it for doc appointments but rarely drive but have a co signer and cannot default on the loan. I am really depressed and getting worse by the day. I need help. I don't want to cause any trouble for these people, I just want out .. I'm in Oregon and its cold outside and I wouldn't survive on the streets. I afraid that's were I will be at the first of the month. I don't know what to do here.. any advice would be appreciated thanks

It sounds as if you need medical and social help rather than euthanasia at this point in your life. I don't live in the USA so I don't know what organisatiuons there are where yoyu live that can give you advice about how to improve your situation. Is there anyon e on this site from your area who would know what you need to do?

Absolutely, yes. Why shouldn't we have the right to control our own lives, or deaths?

Yes. Civil, compassionate euthanasia should be an option.

Absolutely. Everyone should have the right to control their destiny.

Yes. Being alive should not be a prison sentence of suffering.

It's my life. Keeping people from this is nothing more than controlling others in the name of their religious beliefs. Pretty much the same as telling women what to do with their bodies.

A couple of years ago I saw a video on YouTube of a British Senior showing viewers how to make a Suicide Bag, or Exit Bag. If it wasn't such an important issue for me it would have seemed like a Monty Python skit. She was a good presenter and her design is smart and simple to assemble. The video was pulled and I believe she was forced to stop selling the kits she produced.

But this is a real improvement over poison, firearm and so many other methods. Just Google Exit Bag.

It's not 100% foolproof but there is no need for people to suffer more than they choose to endure. But laws have to change and others must be written to clarify our rights at the end of life.

Good info on Exit Bag. Thanx!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.