Agnostic.com

18 2

What's Your Thinking About Assisted Suicide?

I see now that there are nine states in the U.S. that allow it.
I watched a film last night about Dr. Jack Kavorkian called "You Don't Know Jack".

alon 6 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no problem with assisted suicide as long as those wanting it are of sane mind and have a good reason for ending their life.

I viewed this film a while back and cried for this man .I am definitely in favor of it .This country is way behind on this matter. I loved and respected the great Dr. Kevorkian. who was a leader in this cause and was Devastated when those idiots sent him to jail .What a waste of humanity.

I'm all for it. Choice isn't just about abortion. If I choose to die, that's my choice, no one else's.

I think it’s tragic that in a world that we live in, with the medicine and technology that we have, that anyone would ever have to be driven to suicide. I know that a lot in life would have to change to make sure no one would ever feel that way, but I think humanity has it in us to make that a feasible reality. Eventually. Until we get there, if someone feels as if that is their only hope, we’re all still people who make our own choices. No one else should be able to make that choice for someone.

Dr. Kevorkian assisted my Aunt Sue. I wish Michigan had a Death With Dignity law. I keep my bank account in Oregon and use my son's address there to make my transition easier if I ever need to use their law. We voted 2x to pass the law there.

As a person who had a life-changing stroke at age 38, I can tell you I found Incredible comfort that there were guns in the house. "Not today, but tomorrow if I cannot take this crap anymore"

Having prosecuted Kevorkian I can tell you with a short answer that he violated his own rules and there is no way to regulate it. We all have the same right to die, not just people with an artificial 6 months to live. In my opinion limiting it to certain people violates the 14th Amendment. The states that have approved it require a judge and psychiatrists to approve it, so much for your right. If no one will help you kill yourself can you sue them if that's your right? Doctors are supposed to maintain life, not end it. I can go on and on with my year and half of research on the subject but it's too emotional an issue for most and the facts and logic just gets in their way. Everyone can commit suicide, they just might not like how they have to do it. The only way you know if someone really wants to die is if they do it themselves. I've have had the discussion many times on this site and kinda like with discussions on religion, I'm done beating my head against the wall. Happy to have a private discussion with you by message if you'd like to know the ins and outs. I did get a 7-0 decision on the case in the Michigan Supreme Court.
p.s. Just for kicks if you look up Kevorkian and his paintings you'll find one with Santa Claus coming down the chimney stomping on an infant. He was just a ghoul, obsessed with death. He was a pathologist who didnt even consult the doctors of the people he killed towards the end of his killing spree.

lerlo Level 8 July 6, 2019

My friend has a print of his. Dark, very dark. I still give him credit for bringing the process out into the open. He was nothing but professional to our family.

What the hell does his art work have to do with this subject .Some day if you are suffering in bed you may wish you had him by your side .Art is different things to different people and is interpreted in ways a dimwit like you may not understand .

I think any person has control over their own body, feelings, and plans. For some,the stresses of life and mental issues can lead to thoughts of suicide .. and there should be a means to support people through these times.
Where someone has a serious medical condition and the only future is pain, suffering and death - there should be the option to miss out on the pain and suffering section of life.
I am unsure why doctors are involved - it should be an individual choce.
I am unsure about assistance for suicide - we seem to need a sanitised process, a social and morally acceptable way to sanitise death ... the human body is very fragile and death can come easily.... a small cu, a quick bullett, inhale the right gas, eat the right poison .. it is very easy to die

with guidelines to limit abuse I am all for it. would love to work through the preplanning phase.

I am for informed choice for whatever reason....it is none of our business why a person chooses death...as long as the doctor is ok with the choice, a painless death should be an option for adults...

It's justified in cases of terminally ill patients with doctors corroborating not mental illness

bobwjr Level 10 July 5, 2019

Yes, please - if desired, if medically indicated.

People did not choose life... I think they should be able to choose death, for any reason... And I don't think anyone has a right to stop them from doing so... To prolong suffering is evil...

It should be a viable option.

It should be an option. Always.

1of5 Level 8 July 5, 2019

I think it should be accessible to people suffering from severe mental illnesses too. Too many suicides... Some people have tried all they can to live better, to get better. They just can't. Their life is a burden, an everyday hell... They deserve to go peacefully, not hanged in a wardrobe. I struggled with suicidal thoughts all my life. Actually I'm okay, but when the time will come I'd like to benefit from it.

With some safe guards, I fully approve for any adult.

I feel there needs to be a way for someone who is terminally ill and suffering to take control of what's happening to them, if that's assisted suicide, then I'm for it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:369941
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.