Agnostic.com

37 3

Public speaking/performing. Terrifying or fun? I'm all ears!!

I have no problem getting up in front of a crowd and doing my thang.
Just the once, when I kept saying "oranges" instead of "origins" over and over...

Katastrophe1969 6 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Public speaking never did bother me. It's speaking to individuals that sometimes causes the problem., 😉 I

find what helps is to do a general outline on paper. The very act of writing it down helps me to memorize what I have to say. And then there is that speaker's instinct-- somehow I can tell what the audience is receptive to, and alter what I have to say based on that.

I can SING in front of a huge crowd, no problem, but speaking... Not so much.

I wonder what would happen if they turned around and you were speaking behind them.

@Katastrophe1969 That MIGHT just help, sometimes. 🙂

During my poets& writers period, I translated a german poet into Englsih and consequently had to do a lot os reading and presentations in front of a slew of other poets& writers. Hot diggity! The enegy that come sback to you is as exiting as a big glass of champagne. I love presenting, story telling, reading.

SCARY

@Katastrophe1969 No it is fucking SCARY. 🙂

Acting is fun. Public speaking is terrifying. With acting, I have someone else's words and direction to rely on. With any kind of public speaking, I only have my own shitty, unconvincing words.

I used to be very nervous but its not too bad now. I can address a room or crowd without getting flustered, and a little humor can go a long way to break the ice.

I used to despise public speaking when I was younger. With experience and age, I don't care about it as much anymore. I still don't particularly like it, but it's not as debilitating as it used to be for me. Performing songs I have written is another story. I don't have that confidence yet. I'm just a writer, not a singer. When you tell people you write songs, they always think you're a singer too.

I don't mind public speaking, if I have carefully prepared remarks or a script. I am terrified of being questioned or interviewed publicly on the spot and having to give answers that I've not prepared for. I don't trust my quick thinking skills, unless it's something I've said many times before to others, so it rolls off my tongue and would be fresh to the current audience. So, I guess practicing and rehearsing various thoughts and opinions I think I might be asked would be the way I'd prepare for that.

Im not so good but ill do kareoke sober lol. my voice isnt too bad either.

its good for a laugh isn't it?

I cannot public speak but I can perform...and that took awhile to conquer as I'd be shaking out of my shoes. For me if I'm confident I know the material and practiced up I can get through it.

Terrifying!!
I'm in grad school and when I want to say something in class (which is rare AF), my heart beats a bajillion beats a minute and my voice starts shaking. 😟

hate, hate, fear, terror. Short answer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.