Agnostic.com

5 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Much of this could be corrected by Raising Wages and Universal Health Care . We have got to stop robbing our Young Peope of their Future for trying to get an Education .... That is the Future ! Brutal Bullshit Capitalism and Greed will Destroy this Country If not reigned in .

GEGR Level 7 July 20, 2019

I concur. Yet, also add what the student loan situation is/has done to people.

Describes my last decade to a large degree. I was childfree by choice, so I dodged that obligation, but I married a much older woman who got dementia from inherited genetics and was caring for her for several years, but not that involved with looking after my parents because my father was pretty self sufficient until about a year or so ago and he looked after my mother after her stroke at the start of the decade, with help from my younger sister. Now that all three of them are dead, both parents and my late wife, I have a lot less stress in my life, but I have my own health challenges with age and such. Glad I am financially secure enough that money is no worry unless I have a stroke sometime and need long term care. Otherwise, I am going to travel and try to enjoy myself as long as I can since I have no one to look after or stress about now except myself.

Well who would have known my life would be in a magazine. 🙂 I live with my Dad who is 75, my younger daughter who is 25 and I am raising my 4 yr old granddaughter, the child of my oldest child. I work full time and I am the head of the household and I am exhausted.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

@tnorman1236 thanks, I need it.

The last time I looked, Homer Simpson was dedicated to getting his Dad back to the old folks' home. It reflected the understanding that society was outsourcing the care of its parentage to nursing homes. I wasn't aware that mid-life Americans were now becoming carers for their aged parents. There was always an understanding that old folk wanted to stay part of their families and not isolated with their peers. Looking after your folk was seen as a good thing. Selfishness was seen as the reason for dumping parents in homes. I wonder is the sense of crisis justified.

It's a good thing, if you can afford it. With medical costs the way they are, it's very hard.

Many woke up to find the nightmare of "The American Dream." The bottom fell out of everything and it proved the be the big lie. People tried to keep it going working 2 jobs. Many times their kids still lived with them and they also have a senior parent to worry about.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:375989
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.