Agnostic.com

43 4

What's the best book you've read lately?

Just looking for suggestions. I'm particularly fond of fantasy/sci-fi novels but other genres are welcome!

Mea 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't read books, I read Authors. Pat Conroy, John Irving, Larry Mc Murtry. Beach Music by Conroy, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, and Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry. Dairy Queen is about McMurty becoming a writer, and his growing up in Texas. Its a short read by he can hold your attention and you will learn much about how to spot a good writer, because he goes thru a host of them.

Put Gabriel García Márquez on your list. I have loved everything he ever wrote except a few of his early short stories. Don't start with his best, ease into him with Of Love and Other Deamons or Love in the Time of Cholera.

I'm trying to get a pill so I can concentrate on books again. Next week is my med Dr's appt. I'm rereading (slowly), "Why There Is No God."

@snifflz Cool.

'LIFE' by Keith Richards

Brilliant book. My hero.

Although I read it a long time ago, I like The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe. It's really three novellas, and each has its own style, but they're all related and weave an intricate story.

I don't know why I think of this one a lot lately, but I really enjoyed The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov. For whatever reason, that one left a mark on me.

Thanks man, my history is sorely lacking in Asimov. I'll check it out!

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder, By Dr.Michael Savage

I read most of his books .This one was very enlightening

Jurassic Park and Harry Potter are always the best books I've read lately ?

Remi Level 7 Mar 16, 2018

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.

Fiction: The Martian (book, NOT movie) - there is so much science and math in the book, information which has been reviewed by astrophysicsts (& acknowledged by the author), and it was a good/fun read.

The movie (in 3d) is absolutely lovely but you are correct, the book is much better.

Loved The Martian. Great book.

For fiction--I am now a big fan of crime writer Michael Connelly. After getting hooked on the TV version of "Bosch" on Amazon Prime, I have started going back through over 20 years of the Harry Bosch LAPD detective series books---slowly making my way through the entire series. All are great. James Lee Burke has a new Dave Robbicheaux book out and it is in the cue to read. Right now though, with the way that things are in the world of politics--I am reading the books that are coming out on what I consider to be a disaster in the making--the Trump presidency---I have been reading books coming out dealing with that like done by NBC/MSNBC reporter Katie Tur book about her time covering Trump on the campaign trail, that salacious but still noteworthy book "Fire and Fury" and I am going to get the new book "Russian Roulette" by investigative reporters Michael Issikof and David Corn about Trump's long standing ties to the Russians.

This guy Trump is a runaway train heading toward a cliff.

Mine!!! LOL!!! I am currently working on my first full lentgh novel called, "Let No Man put Asunder". It's a post apocalyptic survival story. I'm only on chapter 7 but I hope to finish it by the end of the year.

Good luck. I'm just finishing "Saving Gaia". I feel like it's my raison d'etre. Writing takes a lot out of you even though is not physical.

"A Billion Wicked Thoughts"... I'm 3/4 through it and loving it! A scientific take on sex... what's not to like?!

I am currently reading "The Master and Marguerita" It is a marvellous book, I recommenend it to all who enjoy literary masterpieces. "The Book Thief" is a favourite of mine.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson is pretty good.

The Blade itself- Joe Abercrombie. Free the Darkness- Kel Kade. The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss. Elantris- Brandon Sanderson. The Magic of Recluse- L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Anything by Anne Rice

Also Christopher Rice (her son).

I like Terry Goodkind and Terry Brooks for fantasy

Terry Brooks is very good. Have you watched the Shannara Chronicles on Netflix? I watched the first season, but haven't seen the second yet. I liked what I've seen so far.

I don't think the 2nd season is nearly as good, but maybe you will think differently. It was a new network. Hopefully they are able to find a studio that will do it justice... Netflix would be great... otherwise it may die.

Open A by Kimberly Richardson. If you like gothic, with suspense, you will love her work. **

Rereading Vernor Vinge at the moment.

Colin Wilson
The Outsider
Religion and the Rebel

My own, Saving Gaia, about what needs to be done to save the planet. It doesn't look good. Humans have to make drastic changes in worldview, including religion.

I have read this book a few times and each time it moves me. Little known, under rated, a little dated and very French. The symbol is known as 'Zoran's Equation'. Read the book and find out what it means. You can find copies online.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Favorite? Not sure. Most life changing? "The Grapes Of Wrath."

I like crime novels P.D James etc but at a pinch anything would do as I can't get to sleep without reading.

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. A very entertaining read, if you want some light relief!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.