Agnostic.com

17 3

Has anyone lost someone that they loved so much that the loss of that person almost brought them into religion? So desperate to see them again and with such a dis-belief that that person could actually be gone from the world.
It didn't happen when I lost my parents, I lost aunts, uncles, a brother and I missed them terribly but I lived with the idea they were gone forever.
When my daughter died it was such a rough time that I maybe went into kind of a shock. I started studying online, looking for any kind of answer, went into a crazed search for hope of something more. My best description was the world turned a grey twilight for some time. Gave up my job, talked to anyone I could, joined a group and wondered if I'd make it myself.
Anyway was a strange terrible time. What grief will make you do. I wondered if anyone else has experienced a loss like that....

ronnie40356 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My younger brother died almost 30 years ago. Everyone was saying how he's in a better place. Short answer to the question is... No

I girl I was seeing when my ex wife and I slit up she was a lot younger than me. She died in a car crash my feelings for her were stronger than I even thought. I couldn’t except that she was gone. I looked at every religion I could find trying to find one that I could believe in so that I believe she was totally gone and I would see her again. There are no religions that are compatible with reality and I came to except that she was gone and I would never see her again.

Quite the opposite in my case. I lost someone I loved so much, and that god clearly didn't value, that it drove me OUT of religion. Well, that was a major proximate cause. It wouldn't, by itself, be enough to keep me from permanently regressing. But it popped me out of the religious "bubble" long enough to wake up to the utter bankruptcy of religious faith as a viable path to truth. It gave me time to understand better and more sustainable reasons for rejecting religious faith.

It should be noted that as bad as it was it didn't change my opinions on go or religion. I still don't believe in god or afterlife. Although the afterlife I'm giving maybe a 5% chance...

Not religion, but imagining some sort of afterlife presence. I know it's not true, but I have held on to certain feelings or events that seemed to have meanings. I let go later, but at the time I guess I needed to believe that person wasn't really gone.

Now that I'm getting a bit old, lol. I have lost several people I loved dearly. It does make one hope for something more beyond this world for the dearly departed. However science supports reincarnation, in that we are all made up of the same elements. These elements are returned to the Earth in death. In this way we are reincarnated into a multitude of new life, over and over.

Losing my papa made me realize why so many people turn to religion. I was desperate for anything to ease it.

I am deeply Saddened when someone dies far too young. Someone who has lived a long life, while I may miss them, I am at peace with their passing. The thing that puzzles me is why the devout are often more fearful of death and more overtly distraught at someone's passing than the non-religious.

After my son died, the world turned blacker than I ever saw it before. Still no religion. We didn’t live with it, we won’t die with it. My son is just gone.

I left religion a long time ago. I lost my mom at age 18. It made me move farther away from it.

No. If there was such a person it would be my mother.

I am so removed from religion that I will never go back. I loved her more than anything else in my life, but I will never cowtow to any crazy religion to get her back. I love you mom, but I will never buy into that sort of crazy ever again!

JK666 Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

Not like that. And I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a couple of years ago. He was in hospice for 17 days. Those were horrible days. He was a Christian. I bought a little prayer book that I read to him from. While it certainly did not, or could ever have brought me to religion, there was a certain comfort that i felt to offer something that might bring him comfort.

No, but I did look into reincarnation due to my remembering past lives, and my sister as well. I found many studies of children all over the world ages 2-6 who remembered past lives with great detail, recognizing people and recalling conversations that they had no way of knowing about, and were found to be accurate.

Einstein showed that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form.
There could be reincarnation because "For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein.

I haven't had a religious tug when I've lost anyone close to me, but I've known people who have. One of my in-laws became moderately religious after his brother died. He claims to have been an atheist before (when trying to tell me how I'll come around to a religious perspective eventually), but what he really means is that he never thought about religion at all before deciding "there must be something." I, on the other hand, was devoutly religious and gave it up after a great deal of contemplation and discernment. I can't imagine what would drive me to religion at this point, aside from mental illness or a brain injury (not being facetious, because those things can and do happen).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.