Agnostic.com

12 24

With atheists, Bruce pickets a Texas church that hates gay people.

An atheist, my friend Bruce was a Baptist minister for 26 years. Bruce, MSW, is a counselor in private practice. He is intelligent, wise and funny.

Bruce moved to Dallas to be close to his kids and grandkids. I miss him.

With atheist groups, Bruce pickets Stefast Baptist Church that is a small, extremist hate group. The pastor preaches killing all gay people. Atheist groups try to fill up their parking lot on Sundays, before and after church. Waving a rainbow flag. Bravo!

Bruce wrote:

Yesterday morning, when I was protesting by myself at Stefast Baptist Church and take note that I'm wearing a Tee Shirt that literally begins with "I AM AN ATHEIST" when confronted by the pastor just before Sunday service:

Pastor: Well, you're committed I can say that.
Me: Yep.......so far anyway.
Pastor: So why do you hate god?
Me: I don't hate god.
Pastor: Why do you hate christians?
Me: I don't hate christians.
Pastor: You hate, so what do you hate?
Me: I hate ideologies and so-called "holy books" that espouse genocide. However, ideologies themselves cannot be dangerous unless they are espoused and acted upon by humans.
Pastor:
Holding up a bible So, do you believe this is the word of god?
Me: Hell no.
Pastor: I guess you've never read the bible.
Me: I was a minister for 26 years of the same ilk as you, pretty much. Studied it "religiously" for 30 years.
Pastor: Do you believe in god? Remember the Tee shirt???
Me: Hell no
Pastor: What happened?
Me: Ten years of soul searching.
Pastor: What happened?
Me: I don't share my story with people I consider to be unworthy of hearing it.
Pastor:
Ignores the last statement And you just threw it all away.
Me: I guess that's how you see it.
Me: Don't you have a congregation to go brainwash?
Pastor:
Ignores the remark What are you doing here?
Me: Holding up my signs and talking to people that stop by. You'd be surprised at how people will talk to someone who actually listens.
Pastor: Well, we're talking, huh?
Me: I don't consider what we're doing to be "talking" really.
Pastor: Then how did all this (expansively throws his arm about) begin? A big rock?
Me:
restrained self from stating he just made one of the most incredibly stupid questions ever Look, we don't have time to discuss this at any length, you have a congregation to brainwash and I actually do not believe you have any scientific orientation to even begin discussing the topic. So why don't you toddle on off now and do your thing.
Pastor:
stares blankly for a few seconds and toddles off*

LiterateHiker 9 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Way to go Bruce!

I miss your friend as well. I wish he was everywhere.

Wow. I like it. Reminds me my days on my twentys doing commercial art in a room full of artists every day I was the only atheist. Between Evangelists and Jehovah Witnesses at each others throats daily but I was their Satan. There was a Promotion and was offered to me before being open up to all in the group. I declined... I didn't wanted the extra responsibility. I was fine drawing, doing color separation and translating plus observing everybody's biz from my table made my day... I wanted to be there chilling, not driving around the city. Finally they gave the position to an evangelist idiot. He thought god choose him for the extra pay job. So he said so and told us about it. Going around in the company car taking and picking up our art for final approval from the customers... meeting datelines. There was even some money for clothes since he was our representative to the customers well, comes raining season... he drove the company car on a flooded street, stalling the engine and damaging the car. He got demoted... he, ha, he, ha. What an Idiot... the lord didn't cared for his devotion. He trashed the car!!!! They didn't fire him but they put him back to do paste up jobs. He said the Devil got envy of his goods and prosperity and the lord used him to teach the Devil a lesson.

Love this guy!

@nastynifty

Me, too. Bruce called me today.

@LiterateHiker thanks for sharing!

Humour may be the greatest weapon to stop self ignorance.

Brave Man!

twill Level 7 July 22, 2019

The part on the sign about stoning the LAST pastor has to do with his being found to have hired prostitutes. Truly a sleazy “church”, if that is the right term for this disgusting group.

For the record, The Southern Baptist Convention has clearly worded resolutions that call for love and tolerance for all people. Baptists do think that homosexuality is a sin, but according to them sins are not to be judged by man but by God,

“RESOLVED, That we call on Southern Baptist churches to call sinners to repentance while ministering, encouraging, fostering hospitality, and extending Christlike love toward those brothers and sisters who experience same-sex attraction.”[last paragraph of resolution this year]

I don’t know how you can call anyone to repentance without making a judgment, but whatever. As an ex-Baptist it’s not my problem.

The Stefast Baptist Church is not a member of the SBC. It is part of a very small fringe hate group. Do not judge all Baptists by this one preacher.

@WilliamFleming

Thank you. I added that this 'church' is a "small extremist hate group."

Thanks for the clarification.

Ha.. good for you

Buddha Level 8 July 22, 2019

Got him

bobwjr Level 10 July 22, 2019

It still boggles my mind with how religious indoctrination can override logic, reasoning and critical thinking.

I like that he didn’t really engage with someone who clearly wasn’t in a place to understand or be genuine enough to have a true dialogue. Great post!

That pastor was overmatched!

@DGJ0114

Exactly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377889
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.