Agnostic.com

15 10

Peach season! Cinnamon in French Toast harmonizes with peaches.

Tired of oatmeal, I made French Toast this morning. Used the last, six, dry pieces of whole wheat bread with protein from eggs.

For flavor, added a little pure vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt while beating the eggs.

Discovered cutting the bread diagonally fits the pan better, cooks faster and looks fancy. No more soggy middles.

LiterateHiker 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

haven't had french toast for decades but that does look good.

Thanks! Really! I make this for breakfast about once a week for Kate and I. I ha e never thought of cutting up the bread to fit into the pan better. Thanks for the tip!

@dalefvictor

You're welcome. I figured it out today.

Didn't want to wash a big saucepan. The medium size worked.

That looks delicious

Crys Level 3 July 25, 2019

So yummy and creative

looks good . . . must try that

It's peak mango season here is SW Florida. Mango everything.

mischl Level 8 July 25, 2019

Ooo French toast... Haven't made that for awhile... That triangle idea sounds great... I'll try it next time... 😀

There is nothing better than peaches and french toast. NOTHING. Full stop.

Sadly, as a diabetic, I am mostly dead to that stuff.

I had a single pancake with real maple syrup last Sunday, and some coffee, and paid for it the rest of the day in ways I won't discuss publicly. Other than that it's yogurt and fruit and flat plain oatmeal for breakfast, or if I'm ambitious, a couple of eggs. Gets old but keeps my doctors happy. I have come to understand that my doctor's happiness trumps mine!

Count your blessings and enjoy them to the fullest!

You are always doing wonderful things in your cooking that I love. But, I like the centers just barely cooked it gives an added flavor to the butter and maple syrup! Its the way my Nanny made them for me. I guess you are what you grow up with. Keep sending your delights!

I love the soggy middles! That's what makes it special.

I tend to do this as a casserole and bake a 9x13 pan full of the stuff. with berries and the like being in season, its a quick way to have something going in the oven while other stuff cooks on top the stove. If there are any leftovers, they get eaten pretty quickly as snacks.

That's an excellent idea... Thanks ! 🍝

Nothing screams SUMMER, like peach juice dripping down your chin!
Cutting French toast in diagonals May be practical and even enhance the aesthetics on the plate, but I think it makes it taste smaller 😉

@Haemish1

It's delicious. No more soggy middles.

@Haemish1

In my profile, I wrote:

I find the wonder and joy in life. The infinite pleasure in the touch of a hand, the joy of tasting a juicy, ripe peach.

I have been thinking of French toast all week. I must need carbs and sugar!

@AmelieMatisse

No added sugar.

@LiterateHiker I was thinking of loading it with maple syrup!

@AmelieMatisse

Yes, I drizzled it lightly with pure maple syrup.

@LiterateHiker you are so much more sensible with your syrup than I am.

I love French toast, one of my favorites. But alas, as a low carb guy, it has been a couple of decades since I've had any.

@Mitch07102

The human body needs carbohydrates.

@LiterateHiker We don't need to eat them. We can, but don't need to. We must eat fat and protein. With that, our body will make all it needs.

@Mitch07102

Incorrect. You have succumbed to an unhealthy diet fad.

"Carbohydrates often get a bad rap, especially when it comes to weight gain. But carbohydrates aren't all bad. Because of their numerous health benefits, carbohydrates have a rightful place in your diet. In fact, your body needs carbohydrates to function well.

Common sources of naturally occurring carbohydrates include:

Fruits
Vegetables
Milk
Nuts
Grains
Seeds
Legumes

Source: Mayo Clinic.

[mayoclinic.org]

@Mitch07102, @literatehiker did you know that the brain's main nutrient is sugar, which comes mostly from carbs?

@Cutiebeauty Your fetus was in ketosis in the womb. Your body can make the necessary glucose to fuel itself.

@Cutiebeauty, @LiterateHiker We can respectfully disagree. One of these days I'll post a talk with references to studies that debunks this idea that we need to eat carbs, we don't. The belief in carbs in Amerika has a lot to do with the perversion of science at the hands of the processed food industry and observational epidemiology. OE is OK to generate hypotheses, but notoriously misleading in determining causation.

And the "fad" you refer to is 3m+ years old. Eating fatty meat is how our ancestors became big-brain humans. I know I am an N of 1, but low carb for 20+ years has worked for me. I take no medicine for anything, no health issues of any kind, weigh what I did at high school graduation. I am not saying my way works for everybody, but fat Amerika eats a diet of 50%-60% carbs, much of it refined, especially sugar and its equivalents. We are racing to 20%+ diabetes (which is wonderfully profitable for the pharmaceutical and medical industries) and are already over 2/3 overweight or obese. Look at pictures of America before the low fat, high-carb dietary recommendations. We have become a new species, Americanus Waddlus. It is disgusting.

Looks yummy!
One funny thing is that the French don't call them French Toasts. We call it "Pain Doré" which means something like "Golden bread".
It's like the French Fries. We just call them Fries. And actually, French fries aren't even French to begin with! They're rather Belgian, from Wallonia, the French-speaking part of Belgium.
As for the French kisses... it's not polite to talk with your mouth full!

Hmmmm lots of good info here!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:379133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.