Agnostic.com

17 0

Who knows who was the best pirate?

Who knows who was the best pirate or the most succuessful one for sure? I bet it is not going to be who most people think. They had a fleet of 300 ships and over 40,000 men under their comand.

arronpaul46 6 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Klaus Störtebecker [en.wikipedia.org]

Define "best". Do you mean most successful, or most ruthless.

I'm guessing it's not Johnny Depp?

I thought it was and is Trump.

In my far travels during my pirate days, I bought two diamond earings for $2.00. Not bad for a buccaneer!

I'd guess Ching Shih.

JimG Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

@arronpaul46 if I remember correctly she became a pirate after her husband was killed, and Ching Shih was actually his name, but she used it to honror him.

I do but it gonna cost yer matey..arrrgh..

Hell, that would be the "somali pirates". Oscars and hundreds of millions of dollars in ransoms and goods. Took most of the worlds military powers to stop "them" (although they still raid occasionally) . I spent time in Djibouti tracking and intercepting them. So my vote is for them.

Blackbeard was not bad, and not xcruel as depicted, I looked below fo rthe answer, so thought to throw in a good story.

Benjamin Hornigold.

In 1717, Hornigold and his crew attacked a merchant ship off the coast of Honduras. As terrified merchants begged for their lives, Hornigold’s crew explained that they had gotten drunk the night before and had thrown their hats into the sea, so they had attacked the merchant ship only to steal the hats of her crew. After they took the merchants’ hats, Hornigold and his crew allowed them to continue with their journey. Some historians believe that this curious endeavor was nothing more than Hornigold’s and Thatch’s wish to display their power.

Dread Pirate Robert

@arronpaul46 Neither am I.

@arronpaul46 Inconceivable! You know this could go on for a long time 🙂

Did you know that Cary Elwes wrote a book titled "As You Wish?" He and Mandy Patinkin did the entire sword fight scene themselves – no stand-ins.

He also said that Andre the Giant was an extremely gentle, personable man. He drank massive quantities of various alcoholic beverages daily and never showed any sign of being intoxicated.

I read the book as an e-book checked out from my libraries digital catalog.

@MrLizard … And pick her up like he was palming a basketball I'm sure

Sir Francis drake?

Captain Jack Sparrow is my fave. Going to guess Blackbeard, but I think thats wrong.

Madame Chang

Female Irish pirate Graninne Mhaol (or Grace O'Malley if you like her given name better).

The barbarossa brothers I think.

I think it was a Chinese woman. I can't remember her name.
Chang Shih, or something like that.
The entire British fleet should be a close second.
Just my opinion though.

Sir Henry Morgan

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37948
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.