Agnostic.com

6 9

In Praise of Farmers Markets

Since May, I have shopped at the Farmer's Market in Wenatchee on Saturday mornings.

Freshly picked berries, cucumbers, green beans, cherries, peaches, apricots, corn, pears, apples, squash....the flavor is wonderful.

"Farmer's market cucumbers taste much better than cucumbers sold by grocery stores," I told Karen. "They are bred for good flavor, not for shipping durability and long storage."

Taste real flavors – The fruits and vegetables available at farmers markets are among the freshest and tastiest produce available.

Enjoy the current season – Farmer’s markets will usually offer fruits and vegetables that are currently in-season, and by extension, as close to natural as can be. By eating seasonal produce you will reconnect with the cycle of nature, the weather, and change of seasons.

Supports local farmers – Small farms are not as popular as they once were. Because large agribusinesses dominate food production, local farmers are often in need of our support. Frequenting local farmers markets will directly impact their business and give them much deserved support.

Protects the environment – Foods grown on small farms are usually produced by methods that do not have a substantial negative effect on the earth.

All-natural – Most food at a farmer’s market will not contain any added chemicals and are grown using the most naturally sustainable techniques.

Wide variety - I didn't know there were so many types of pears. Delicious!

Confidence in your food sources – You can find out exactly where their farm is located, their growing methods, and what other foods his or her farm offer.

Learn tips and recipes – Farmers are generally very helpful with providing free advice on the best ways to enjoy their products.

Enjoy the Outdoors – Attending an outdoors farmers market can make grocery shopping a much more enjoyable experience. Strolling around an outdoor market can be a great stress reliever and wonderful way to get away from the big city hustle and bustle.

[healthfitnessrevolution.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

beautiful! used to all the time, but stopped because there was no organic fruits or veggies.

@gigihein

There are a few organic growers at the Farmer's Market here.

I love Farmer's Markets for all the reasons that you point out above. The food is better but the price is no longer as cheap as before. Even as a non-smoker I do find many foods to be "cardboard like" in taste today, but not as bad as what is in the local grocery stores.

We have a wonderful local farmers market here also,,visited today but did not buy any veggies as i have enough on hand but did buy a loaf of chees and pumkin seed bread and a soft garlic bagel all made in an outdoor wood fired oven,,yummy home made bread the real way

They are awesome lot of farms around here

bobwjr Level 10 July 27, 2019

Farmers markets in England never seem to have farmers selling - most stalls are normal market sellers who push up the price because buyers are generally wealthy middle class wanting 'real' food.
But we have a network of small growers of fruit, veg, flowers, eggs, poultry, sheep, pigs, milk, cows - all at a reasonable price....generally a swap for my fish, venison, rabbits, or even looking after their dog or cat.
I went to a very real weekly farmers market in cuba - big trucks arrive in the early morning holding several tons of produce - the back of the truck is lifted and people pick direct from the truck and pay the driver

We have three on three different days and go quite frequently. We also have a family owned supermarket that sells local produce when in season also products produced locally.

My area has a wonderful Bakery and Deli in Cuba, Mo. that is run by Mennonites. The baked bread, sandwiches, drinks, etc. cannot be beat. I love this little store and it's a great place to go for lunch.

@DenoPenno we have a Amish community just south of me and yes fresh baked homemade goods are very good they also have a nice general store of course it's not open Sundays. 🙄 That's their call.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:380032
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.