Agnostic.com

43 6

Favorite quote

I have many favorite quotes, this is one of my favorites...what’s yours?
“How wonderful it is that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.” Anne Frank

CollegiateJules 5 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Patroclus was a better man than you, yet death did not spare him”-Calisthenes

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” - Archilochus Greek lyrical poet

“Under pressure, you don’t rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That’s why we train so hard.” - Heard from a Navy Seal

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you only take it from one place, it becomes stale and rigid." - Iroh
"It is time for you to look inward and begin asking the big questions: Who are /you/? What do /you/ want?" - Iroh
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” - Mewtwo
"No matter what I do, moving forward seems so daunting, it's haunting, it's taunting but it's all that I'm wanting/I'm wrapped in a cocoon and the pain still lingers/I'll break out and be that butterfly like it says on my fingers!" - Mayuta

Also forgot this gem (pun intended).
"You can't let anyone make you feel like garbage." - Amethyst

"Wow, that's gonna leave a mark" Osama Bin Laden, May 2, 2011.

Hahahah!!

"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain"-Fredrich Schiller

seen on a poster at a peace rally in london, " stop killing people you f===ing twats"

????

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right"

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston chuchill

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.
~ Delos McKown

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained.
~ Chuang-tzu

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before. Eisenhower

The king is dead, long live the king. live by the sword, die by the sword.

'That rug really tied the room together.'

"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden… But though an old man, I am but a young gardener." ~ Thomas Jefferson 🙂

Varn Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

My grandma used to say: son there’s more time than life.

"Inside every silver lining is a dark cloud". Me.

If they were right I'd agree but it's them they know not me. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Changes upon changes we remain, more or less, the same. True confidence is not walking into a room and feeling you can stack up against anyone in the room, but rather walking into a room and feeling no need to compare yourself to others. The light in the tunnel might be an oncoming train. Can I have extra fries with that?

There are so many awesomely prolific quotes out there and in here. But......the 2 that I often use, just to be funny, is...." ...because it's Friday,....and you ain't got shit to do!" AND "Hold my beer, I got this!". Lame? I know. But I laugh anyway.?

Mine are from different books.

"We who wore the sign might justly be considered “odd” by the world, yes, even crazy, and dangerous. We were aware, or in the process of becoming aware and our striving was directed toward achieving a more and more complete state of awareness while the striving of the others was a quest aimed at binding their opinions, ideals, duties, their lives and their fortunes more and more closely to those of the herd. There, too, was striving, there, too were power and greatness. But whereas we, who were marked, believed that we represented the will of Nature to something new, to the individualism of the future, the others sought to perpetuate the status quo."

-Hermann Hesse, Demian

"Once you get past all the Mr. Vinsons, you’re going to start getting closer and closer – that is, if you want to, and if you look for it and wait for it – to the kind of information that will be very, very dear to your heart. Among other things, you’ll find that you’re not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You’re by no means alone on that score, you’ll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You’ll learn from them – if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It’s a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn’t education. It’s history. It’s poetry."

J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

Robert Heinlein beautifully deciphers the meaning of Rodin’s Fallen Caryatid through the eyes of Jubal Harshaw, the wise-but-cynical, “father-figure” character of the book, Stranger in a Strange Land:

"This poor little caryatid has fallen under the load. She’s a good girl—look at her face. Serious, unhappy at her failure, not blaming anyone, not even the gods…and still trying to shoulder her load, after she’s crumpled under it.

But she’s more than just good art denouncing bad art; she’s a symbol for every woman who ever shouldered a load too heavy. But not alone women—this symbol means every man and woman who ever sweated out life in uncomplaining fortitude until they crumpled under their loads. It’s courage…and victory.

Victory in defeat, there is none higher. She didn’t give up…she’s still trying to lift that stone after it has crushed her…she’s all the unsung heroes who couldn’t make it but never quit."

~ Robert A. Heinlein,
Stranger in a Strange Land

"The path is a personal experience, and one should take delight in those little things that go on in our lives, the obstacles, seductions, paranoias, depressions, and openness. All kinds of things happen, and that is the content of the journey, which is extremely powerful and important. Without those problems, we cannot tread on the path. We should feel grateful that we are not sterile, completely cleaned out, that the world has not been overtaken by some computerized system. There is still room for rawness and ruggedness all over the place."

~ Chogyam Trungpa, The Path is the Goal.

Wow that’s awesome! Thanks for sharing

@CollegiateJules You are very welcome. It's books with quotes like these that got me through some tough periods in my life. I'm more than happy to share them and I hope they help others, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.