Agnostic.com

5 11

Did you try something you last did in your 20s? Here I go.

A year ago, I gave my daughter two of my elegant work jackets: black and navy. Poor as a church mouse, Claire was starting her career at a medical center in Seattle.

Store jackets have too much frippery. Decided to sew a black jacket.

I didn't know they made "no-wale" corduroy! It's soft with a light shimmer. Cotton with spandex. The stretch makes it comfortable. Usually I don't like corduroy. But this is elegant and unique.

First, washed and dried the fabric. I cut out everything with vertical lines and the nap going down. I am exacting when cutting. Everything flows from there.

Torture- With red thread, marked 10,000 circles on both sides of the fabric to show where pieces fit together. Skipping this step has been problematic in the past. So, I pressed on.

Decided to ditch the patch pockets. I cut them out anyway (in case the jacket looks bare). Making a buttonhole will be interesting.

In kindergarten, Claire made the basket pin-holder as a Mother's Day gift. I love it.

As a kid, she loved patting down the pins. "Claire!" I said, laughing. "That's not helpful."

LiterateHiker 9 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do way more stuff now than I ever did in my 20's. Even with my physical limitations. Because back then I had emotional limitations: I was depressed and shut down and couldn't manage much of anything.

In my 50's, I still do some of the stuff I did in my 20's, but slower: cycling, playing soccer, playing hockey, music listening, political activism, graphic arts.

I just took up cycling again. It has been a blast but I do not like hills, or curvy 2 lane country roads.

Have you finished it yet? I love to see ti when you do.

@Jolanta

Yesterday I cut out the fabric and interfacing. Marked circles. Cleaned up and collapsed.

Will post a photo wearing the jacket when it is finished.

@LiterateHiker Looking forward to it. I just finished a skirt from some jean material I had lying around for years.

I could list a bunch of stuff I would like to do. There are not many if any I would try now.

azzow2 Level 9 July 30, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:381104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.