Agnostic.com

12 2

QUESTION Are humans genetically loaded for extinction? | Genetic Literacy Project

Mutations happen. It’s estimated that every newborn baby has 100 new mutations that his/her parents didn’t have. Also, as a population, we’ve developed at least one million genetic variants in the last 5,000 years. Between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago, “73 percent of all protein-coding SNVs (single nucleotide variations) and approximately 86 percent of SNVs predicted to be deleterious arose,” a group of scientists studying this trend wrote. Today, the average person carries about 250 to 300 mutations that impair some function. We also carry several more hundred variants that are neutral or cause minor problems. And this doesn’t include variations at sites of non-coding DNA.

zblaze 7 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think it is a genetic predestination. I think the mutations are environmental impact adaptations or responses.

Did they express why those mutations were developing? I'm not sure if this automatically equates to extinction as much as evolution. We seem to be uniquely built to change to survive, but seem to also be built to easily deny and avoid necessary changes. Those who adapt continue, those who don't... well...

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

I sometimes hang out with the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, also known as Vehement, online. I have no problem with humans becoming extinct, I just wish we weren't taking so many other species along for the ride. The Sixth Extinction is a scary book because it tells the truth.

I think it is pretty apparent that humans are evolving, but not fast enough. Our ability to cope with our own technology is pretty limited. The smartest humans are practically another species, already, from the dumbest of us. However, this time a minority of evolved humans will either have to vacate the premises to avoid the disaster the numbnuts are creating or go down with the ship. I'm not convinced that we're looking far enough ahead to have that escape route figured out in time.

TWDay Level 4 Mar 17, 2018

The only "hope" of any species continuing is to evolve into something else.
To remain the "same" is a genetic, evolutionary dead end.

the universe dosent concern itsellf with life,

Again with the eugenics.

Weren't the various genocides of last century enough for you people?

Eugenics will neither hasten or prevent the extinction of our species.

@zblaze hasten. There is no OR. You can't save humanity by ruining the best part of it.

Yet we apparently can’t out-evolve our instinct to consume the planet in order to obtain the resources necessary for maximum procreation … as if we’re an isolated subspecies of humanity on the edge of extinction. It does not look good..

Those achieving a level of educated understanding are constantly undercut by those who aren’t. As the educated societies limit their reproduction -- the primitive nations burst their borders; it’s the most immediate threat to global stability and one that’s shaking up both Europe and the USA.

Varn Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

When I was in ZPG we would ask middle-class women how they felt about limiting their offspring. Almost all would say they felt it was very important but that they saw that the minorities and lower-classes continued to have higher number of kids and so they were afraid the intelligence pool would become a minority. This is a racist idea but, it seems true. Nature doesn't care for human memes and only works with a set plan. If and when our numbers become unsustainable she will do whatever is necessary to bring about a balance.

@JackPedigo I’ve daughters thinking and considering the same.. but would never have expected that, or what you describe as the responses of other women. Actually, my atheist daughters’ exhibit A were the breeding habits of our former christian fundamentalist neighbors, with comments like, ‘if we don’t have children to counter theirs,’ ‘they’ll take over.’ Scary thoughts … as I also fear the ‘days of natural balance’ ..though we can’t say humanity wasn’t warned…

Another important but very unpopular portion of your comment is that when the developing countries burst their borders they become refugees in search of a place of security. Many developed countries try to assimilate as many as they can but the numbers are so large (and growing) this becomes unsustainable. Look at the countries embracing a more conservative politics and you will see excessive immigration is at the core. I strongly believe immigration should not be based on emotions (pity, guilt) but reasoned based and sustainable policies.

I'm loaded and I'm doomed for extinction. So I say yes.

We as humans are the only known species with the capacity to alter our genetic destiny, but even that probably won't be enough to prevent our ultimate demise. We may still go extinct by self inflicted harm or the inability to prevent a catastophic event like a impact from a major asteroid or comet.

It is likely that environmental degradation due to human overpopulation, or some natural extinction event will do in our species. It is just a quetion of when.

I sure as hell hope so.

We seem to think along the same lines for the most part.

@jlynn37 That appears to be true on many topics.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.