Agnostic.com

13 0

Without usng the internet, and just using a slide rule, can anyone calculate the the square root of three ?

magicwatch 7 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

my point is that we put man on the moon using slide rules, not computers , well not literally, and it wasnt "we" but the US , with a little help from a German rocket scientist. Its not Rocket Science, ........ooh, yes it is mind you they used moon maps drawn by some British amateur astronomer , Moore on that later. its a f.......ng miracle they pulled it off,

Just reading the problem gave me a headache. 🙂

I used to be able to find square roots on paper - back when I had my 16 year old brain. Let me use my de-ager to return to that age.

... ... ... ...

"Math!? You want me to do math again? You wish! I'm going to the video game arcade. I haven't played Elevator Action in decades."

No, I can do 4 though, close enough right?

No but I can wiggle my ears

Yes. The real question is: to how many digits?

I have done this before using a series of assumptive approximations followed by refining tests. This was intended as a mental exercise (so, no pen, pencil, paper or calculator, let alone slide rule). I got the square root to 5 or so digits and got bored.

Hahahahahahahaha, nope.

Strangely enough I still have one on my desk, and yes, I can.

Why would anyone still own a slide rule, and why would they want to do that? I'm guessing you don't have any good books to read.

I don’t have a slide rule but I used to do square roots with just paper and pencil, for the fun of it.

its 03:43 in the morning here in London, GOING TO BED

1.73 +

When I was in college, there were no calculators, and computers cost millions; they needed thousands of square feet of raised floor for cooling and cabling. Every engineer learned to use a slide rule. I haven't played with one in many years, maybe I could find the sq-root of three, IDK. Don't own one anymore.

still have mine , and my exes ? dads, youngsters have it to easy these days

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.