Agnostic.com

16 4

I can't stand the hypocrisy.

The other day I was talking to my friend and I mentioned Stephen Hawking's death. He said how he doesn't believe in a lot of that stuff, meaning a lot of science I guess, and that there's really no proof. I told him, "But you believe in God!". His response was, "I've seen and experienced things", that make him believe and know God exists.

I don't think a lot of religious people know the difference between a theory and a scientific theory. Aliens existing is a theory. Evolution is a scientific theory based on evidence and experimentation.

How can someone seriously have no doubt about there being a God, with no real proof, and then say they don't believe in a lot of science?

Piece2YourPuzzle 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hypocrisy is my pet peeve!! The worse part about that is no amount of reasoning will help them see how wrong they are. Basically his thinks like a child. He doesn't know or cares to understand how the world works so it must be magic and therefore God... Smdh

You got me especially when its science that keeps them alive including the lights in there churches.

We're all stuck in our own neurology and experience of the world. Most people never need to look for outside confirmation like a scientist does. Worse, if their delusions or hallucinations match the culturally expected experience, they're frequently encouraged to preach or write about them.

I understand both. I've had experiences with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy that were basically full-sensory hallucinations of heaven and hell. I know they're not real, just one of the ways my brain makes things up.

Some interesting factoids on TLE:
The hallucinations, whether hellish or ecstatic, are culturally mediated.
Several Medieval Mystics, including Theresa of Avila and Hildegard von Bingen, are suspected to have had TLE based upon their descriptions. A few people include Muhammad, the founder of Islam, in that number.

They believe because they want to. They want it to be true so they don't want to understand or know what you know. They are wilfully ignorant.

Ignorance. Sorry.

“I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street”

― Stephen Hawking

I often laugh to myself when people say they proudly say they" don't believe in science "online.

Without science they wouldn't be able to BE online in the first place.The internet,power all came about because of science.

Facts are facts.
Their truth isn't based on wether someone believes they are true or not. Because.... facts.
Haha

What's truly worse is that they don't even recognize the hypocrisy of their behavior.
They reject what has been repeatedly proven, yet insist that which is abject fantasy is more real than science.
You just can't fix stupid.

I have known those people too, lol. I have asked them this question and the answer more often than not is "because they have faith". I still do not understand why faith trump's hard evidence..

Isaac Asimov wrote in the late fifties, "There is a cult of ignorance in this county!" Sadly it has gotten bigger and dumber.

BillF Level 7 Mar 17, 2018

Vale Stephen Hawking, the Human Race has lost a Genius, you will be remembered by multitudes.
As to the original posting/comment, most sadly there are Faithfools everywhere my friend just as, in my opinion, there are flies around manure and both are equally as difficult bearing with.
However, the flies DO NOT seem so intent upon murdering each other and innocent peoples as do the Faithfoools and, though it is quite legal to kill flies we Atheists must contue to strive in the hope of one day bringing the Faithfools out of the Dark, Arcane world of Religion and into the light of Reason.

And they appear to be clueless to how notoriously weak anecdotal evidence is. Nor do they seem to stop and ponder that the internet, cell phones, flight, medical technology, refrigeration, central heating/AC, etc. are all based on science, and that the discoveries of the future all hinge upon its continuing progress.

That is an excellent point. If they truly were to reject science, they would live much as the Amish do. Instead they pull a beer from their fridge (thank you science for refrigeration) and turn on the tv (thank you science for electricity, communications satellites, printed circuitry, etc.) to watch the latest installment of The Apprentice, only this show is on daily, and takes place at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. You're fired!

I share your frustration. I have some of this kind of thinking in my family. One brother in particular. He has recently gotten ill and is taking enormous advantage of Western medicine for the 1st time in his life and, while he recognizes its very specific value, cannot broaden the concept to more science, or even medicine beyond that I'm mediate application.

They think science is equivalent to any faith. Their personal interpretation of a random event that happened once is treated as equivalent to applied physics and peer reviewed, multiple study verified, medical practices.

I point out the science that was instrumental in creating the cell phone in their pocket and they think the engineering is just a bunch of people making stuff up til something works. It is maddening.

Most people that I know who don’t believe that kind of stuff don’t want to put forth the effort to learn about that kind of stuff It is easier for them to just believe what their church tells them

Extremely sad that they are so content to live in that manner, isn't it?

@Triphid It is sad but they are content, happy, and fulfilled in their delusion so I don’t knock them (if they keep it personal) Trying to sell me on their brand of delusion is a battle that will NEVER be won

Probably because they see a 'god of the gaps' in that their god is an esy explanation for the things they see as too difficult to understand.

To explain a scientific theory about how certain things occur, requires them to think logically and make a real effort to understand what can be complex subjects.

"God did it" is easy to explain and requires no thought or effort on their part.

I second that!!!!

Science is true whether you believe it or not

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38741
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.