Agnostic.com

4 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can be a force for good

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 15, 2019

My feeling is that Atheism is simply the umbrella under which many forms of Humanism fall. (Secular Humanism, Spiritual Humanism, but not Religious Humanism)

Atheism is not in itself instructive or solution oriented, while Humanism leans toward presenting a positive life stance that reaches a hand across the table with human values everyone can agree with, regardless of religious background, by leaving the religious myths and supernatural entities out of presentation. For me, it's the common denominator of all religions, some human values everyone can agree with.

I consider myself to be both Atheist and Agnostic, but more precisely, under that umbrella, Humanist. Under the umbrella of Humanism, I more precisely consider myself to be a Spiritual Humanist, and that is mostly to satisfy the government that I am a clergy member, which allows me to perform marriages with the title "Minister of Spiritual Humanism" meaning that I administer to the spirit of Humanists, by inspiring and enshrining the positive human values, such as honesty, honor, trust, integrity, etc., which make living harmoniously with each other possible. 😉

As a clergy member of [SpiritualHumanism.org], it simply means that I clicked a button online that says "Ordain me," because I agree with this statement: "We can solve the problems of society using a religion based on reason."

Humanism is solution based for the greater good of humanity. As it states in the article: The American Humanist Association defines Humanism as: "A progressive philosophy of life that, without theism and other supernatural beliefs, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."

Way cool!! I am getting myself ordained!

@HippieChick58 It's fun and rewarding to help folks with weddings, funerals, vow renewals, adoption ceremonies and such that reflect their secular or humanistic spiritual views. It's what I do for a living and it's like having an uplifting celebration every day! 🙂

I think atheism is a pretty straightforward answer to a simple question: “Do you believe in a god or gods?” “No.” Boom.

I'd say that splitting atheists from secular humanists is creating a false dichotomy (an unneeded and perhaps false splitting of typically leftist groups)

I stopped following The Big Think because, as of Nov 2018, TBT is wrapped up with and is one of the many mouthpieces of the Koch Brothers. That's perfect for creating media that splits the left.

However, I do agree with the premise of the article, which is simply that one of the greatest downfalls of atheism, is that it does not offer "social capital", where this is what religious communities offer in spades.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:389133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.