Agnostic.com

10 1

Have you ever felt comfortable enough to donate on Facebook fundraisers ?

I’ve been getting invites from friends on Facebook lately to donate to things such as St. Jude children hospital for upcoming birthday and I was just wondering what any of you think.

EmeraldJewel 7 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, and you have to be careful with that. Some will sign you up when you donate to have a small amount "donated" every month from your account.

If you are going to donate anything why not just do it in your local community. There are probably causes at your back door that could do with a bit of a lift!

St jude is one of the few that I think is still legit and worthwhile!

FB is a joke and is full of scammers. I hang up on phone calls then block their number. I donate locally and directly only. I want my money going to who/what I want to help... Not pay 90% to the people who man phones or canvass neighborhoods.

Local charities with low cost or volunteer staff. Some national organizations that I have field visited like MAG (Mine Advisery Group). But no never phone solicited or FB.

No

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 16, 2019

I donate directly to local charities.
I never donate via social media, I never donate to national / international charities
The only exceptions are RNLI, lifeboats around UK, and Salvation Army, a religious group in UK, but they gave me soup, clothes, a safe place to sleep and found a lift to get me home when I was too young to wander London alone.

Many times including today: A veteran friend who suffers PTSD lost his son to suicide. He posted a Facebook fundraiser for the suicide hotline to honor his son and with the belief that it saves lives. I donated. There are others that I donated to where 1) I know the person or they are known to others I trust and 2) I trust the money will go towards the stated intent.

Yes - a member here had a stop gun violence link

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:389527
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.