Agnostic.com

23 9

Favourite Relgion, Atheism Quotes ?

I often include quotes in my posts and replies.

I'd like to hear everyone's favourite quotes about religion and atheism.

Please remember to give credit to the person who originally said it and if you know where they said it (book, interview, etc). that might be helpful too.

Here's just one of mine:

" A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks.
Do you think when Jesus comes back
he ever wants to see a fucking cross?

That's like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on. "

• Bill Hicks
z0000 7 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I forget the actual quote, or who said it. Maybe someone can help me.

A missionary says to a young native boy, "Know Christ, or burn in Hell." The native asks, "Would I burn if I did not know Christ?" The missionary says, "No. Not if you did not know him."

"Then, why did you tell me?" asked the native boy.

Eskimo: 'If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?'
Priest: 'No, not if you did not know.'
Eskimo: 'Then why did you tell me?'
Annie Dillard

Thank you.

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from the church as you can." -Frank Zappa

Rundioll, "keeping children away from church" is just putting them at the starting line. They should also 'study' religious mythology and the history of it. They should study cosmology, archeology, history---these subjects are so interesting that they would not accept buffoonery. And after they know a bit about life, they should be taken to church-- to be shown what 'indoctrination' looks like.

Ok...not sure why you feel the need to tell me that, but I agree with you. The quote I posted doesn't say not to do those things, AND I've done, and continue to do all those things, except go to church...no need.

From The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce
Faith
n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk.
—Tom Waits

Love that one

Another point- god is always drunk- so be serious- how can you tell when he is in the devil guise? LOL

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~ Gandhi

"It's okay not to know all the answers. It's better to admit our ignorance than to believe answers that might be wrong. Pretending to know everything, closes the door to finding out what's really ther. "

NEIL deGRASSE TYSON

"You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?" –Mark Twain

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

? Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

gearl Level 8 Nov 16, 2017

To me, this is the most profound atheism quote.

'Workers of the world, unite!
You have nothing to lose but your chains!'

K. Marx, F. Engels, The Communist Manifesto, 1848.

K. Marx, Father of Dragons, Breaker of Chains

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who – in their grudge against traditional religion as the ‘opium of the masses’ – cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

—Albert Einstein

Michael, I have seen and heard that term anti-theist before- never thought about it much, but for me that would be a correct term. Religion is too foolish to talk about or hate, but the con-artist theist do get my rancor.

mrdunn, never heard that quote by Einstein. He says it well. Some have thrown off their chains, but are still burdened by the weight- still cursing religion. There are other things to do beside that, and they "cannot hear the music of the spheres." Yes, that is the true picture of what should be- and the later has nothing to do with religion.

@Diogenes

Hello Diogenes. I like your comment and I concur.

The same sentiments would pertain to fanatic religionists as well; …groaning under the weight of their untenable convictions, they are impelled to rail against any testimony that does not fit within the narrow confines of their world view – “In quiet let him perish, for provident Jove hath deprived him of reason.”

Two heads of the same Hydra.

For me, the term “anti-theist” carries the same vehement connotation as “fundamentalist”

"It's fair to say the Bible contains equal amounts of fact, history, and pizza." -Penn Jillette

Yep, more or less. And it is a hell of a mess trying to separate the fact and history from the pizza.

Something Abraham Lincoln heard:

When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad. That is my religion.

Annaleda, yep, when I do bad, I can't ever seem to ever forget it---- thus in my 'dotage', when I am too old to change the past, I attempt to do some good in the day.

"Religion poisons everything"

• Christopher Hitchens
Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 16, 2017

For god so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever would believe in him would believe in anything.
—Unknown

Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion.
—School Superintendent Chalmers on The Simpsons

"Would believe in anything"- and that is the downfall of these con-artist preachers. They have no boundaries; they don't know when to quit.

The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature: reason, honesty, and love. The only demons we must fear are those that lurk inside every human mind: ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith, which is surely the devil's masterpiece.--Sam Harris, The End of Faith

Carl Sagan: "" You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.""

Duchessa, Sagan is a brilliant man; I am not. The believers are going to La la Land and yes there is this "need to believe", but they are also stupid and lazy- thinking would take them out of their cloistered comfy zone. "Cain't let thet thar happen"

“I have concluded that we are in a world made by rules created by an intelligence. Believe me, everything that we call chance today won’t make sense anymore. To me it is clear that we exist in a plan which is governed by rules that were created, shaped by a universal intelligence and not by chance.”

–Michio Kaku, theoretical physicist and string theory pioneer.

Kudos to mrdunn Thank you.

“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”

“People take it for granted that the physical world is both ordered and intelligible. The underlying order in nature-the laws of physics-are simply accepted as given, as brute facts. Nobody asks where they came from; at least they do not do so in polite company. However, even the most atheistic scientist accepts as an act of faith that the universe is not absurd, that there is a rational basis to physical existence manifested as law-like order in nature that is at least partly comprehensible to us. So science can proceed only if the scientist adopts an essentially theological worldview.”

–Physicist Paul Davies, the winner of the 2001 Kelvin Medal issued by the Institute of Physics and the winner of the 2002 Faraday Prize issued by the Royal Society (amongst other awards), as cited in his book God and the New Physics (first quote), and from his acceptance address of the 1995 Templeton Prize (second quote).

"I shall regard all phenomena as the particular dealing of God with my soul."
~Jack Parsons

Religion is big businese

"Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there."

"Don't tell me what you believe, show me the physical evidence" Carl Sagan on his death bed to a preacher that thought he needed saving.

"Perception is reality" -- Albert Einstein

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.