Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Digital phenotyping: A revolution or a privacy breach? - MedCity News

Consider this situation: A family member starts avoiding social gatherings, doesn’t respond to messages quickly, becomes isolated for long periods of time, and stays online late at night becoming sleep deprived.

You sense anxiety and depression in social media posts and you automatically wonder if your family member is undergoing some problems. That is the basis of digital phenotyping, a term coined by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health for the emerging field, which is focused on trying to assess people’s well-being based on their interactions with digital devices, such as smartphones.

The data generated from extensive smartphone use can shed light on our physical and emotional health. Smartphones generate two forms of digital data: Active or user-generated data including content in texts, calls, and social media (for social engagement); and passive data including spatial location, time spent in various locations, driving speed, and phone usage patterns all collected via the phone’s sensors.

Facebook recently announced an algorithm that scans posts to see if users are exhibiting signs of suicidal thoughts and alerts a Facebook review team.

Mindstrong Health, a California-based startup, has developed a research app to continuously monitor users’ phone habits, keyboard accuracy, and speed for hints about mood and memory changes associated with depression. Paul Dagum, CEO of Mindstrong Health, believes that this data can be used at an aggregate level for public health, such as creating a heat map of the planet to show spots of emotional volatility or cognitive decline from stress, contagion, or toxins.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That seems a very liberal way to use the word phenotype - adapting it to mean a type of behaviour instead of a type of organism. Anyway, it might well be completely correct. On a more layman level, I was surprised that understanding other people did not bring about the wholly positive results that were expected. I really hoped education would teach us to be kinder to one another but it seemed to work the other way. So I'm not too optimistic about this level of analysis bringing only good results.

Your right, that word, it sounds, is that the right word? Profiling would be a better word, but that sounds bad too. Or we could just be honest and call it Big Brother. Yes, I think the internet can bring out a lot of negative qualities in people. I can see how things like this could lead to whole other sets of problems.

I don't know what to think about this, though I am glad to hear it has been created and has a name, digital phenotyping. I was wondering why this wasn't being done already. I mean social media can't just be all about financial profits for those at the top, right? On the other hand the breach of privacy issue is there and it's huge. Where do you draw the boundaries? It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Going back to this "Smartphones generate two forms of digital data: Active or user-generated data including content in texts, calls, and social media (for social engagement); and passive data including spatial location, time spent in various locations, driving speed, and phone usage patterns all collected via the phone’s sensors." Who would be accessing all this information? Are they referring to an app? Facebook? Does Facebook have unlimited access to all of this information? That sounds so intrusive.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:389636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.