Agnostic.com

12 1

Does an atheist have a chance at winning a senate or congressional seat? Are there any holding office now?

twaseverthus 5 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Non religious humanist count?

wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Huffman

I think they have a chance. If a Myslinm can get elected to congress, especially in today's environment, then an atheist coudl probably do it too.

Not with the boomer generation running things, but I believe millenials are going to change that too.

I think most politicians are afraid to come out as atheist - Christians heads would explode

gater Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

Possible in some areas because of the current political climate, but not very likely.

Sure we can. Just claim you're a christian like republicans do.

Yes. There have been at least one senator and one congressman who were atheist. [en.wikipedia.org]

Kyrsten Sinema of AZ (crazy right?) is the only member of Congress to say she has no religious affiliation. Other than that, I don't know.

LizL Level 5 Mar 18, 2018

Saying you have no religious affiliation is different than being agnostic or atheist, I know many that claim to be christian but don't proscribe to a specific religion, I am registered to vote as non affiliated but that doesn't mean I don't have a political affinity.

There was one open atheist in conrress in 2012. but he lost his seat even in California. I read a claim that there are 30 atheists in the US congress, but NONE re open about it.

Cowards

There was one open atheist in conrress in 2012. but he lost his seat even in California. I read a claim that there are 30 atheists in the US congress, but NONE re open about it.

Who in their right mind would admit to this. There are 7 states where it is currently illegal to run for public office. Bible belt states. Unless Bill Maher runs, no other would have a chance.

Wow! Really? Illegal to run for office as an atheist? So crazy!

Bill Mahr is very funny. I love his humor. However he is not a learned person. He shoots from the hip. I was him in celebrity Jeopardy. His ignorance actually surprised me.How can a man of his intelligence and talent be so ignorant?

@norealgod To answer your question.....arrogance.

Bernie Sanders from VT. They have to represent their district's population. Have to be a liberal area where religion isn't a concern.

Really an Atheist-culturally Jewish like me-not religious.

@sassygirl3869 and like me (half Jewish). Many Americans I meet have a hard time grasping the whole culturally Jewish thing. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.