Agnostic.com

20 4

Do theists understand the historical context of their ancient texts?

Would a greater knowledge of religious history change theists' belief in their ancient, religious texts?

Sedalien 4 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most likely not.

No. Many seem to think that what was writen 2000 years or more for a completely different culture shoudl literally apply word for word to today's culture.

A fairly certain answer would be no. They have little knowledge or interest in the history of any religion, even their own. Largely, exposure to such information is more or less ignored in favor of their own preferential notions of what it is all about. Even reading the King James Bible, The text and injunctions are largely ignored in favor of what they personally believe about their god and religion. It is not to say that these texts are without influence for some, but largely I would have to say that this is the case, particularly in adults.

It helped me reverse a 25 year run as a n evangelical. Started with Ken Daniels "Why I Believed", then Dan Barker, Bart Ehrman, and a bunch of unknown Kindle authors selling truth for . 99, with the real story of the origins of the bible and the church.

Great question! [pewforum.org]
I love Pew research.
Atheists and Jews rank highest in knowledge of religion in general.
Would knowledge change belief? I have no idea. But knowledge leads to tolerance.

It has for me. Art history classes put into perspective stories, cultures, traditions and beliefs through comparison of other cultures.

The odd thing about this that because they are ancient theists are more likely to believe they are true. It's an inversion of logic that's difficult to get them to question. Sam Harris once in debate said to some theists that if they were given some story about a religious guru in India who, according to his followers, performs miracles and brings people from the dead (apparently they exist) then they, Christians, would scoff and dismiss it. A natural sense of skepticism applies. But read the same stories from ancient texts from thousands of years ago, then that can be believed. No sense of skepticism applies. It's the nature of religion to do this to human thinking, to corrupt it.

If they had, they would no longer be theists.

Mpst dp mpt/

Most theists in my experience (particularly fundamentalists) are quite ignorant of such matters. Willfully so I think. When I was in the faith we were taught in various roundabout ways that we represented a return to "true" or "primitive" Christianity, that we were a living, vital faith in contrast to the dry, dead, lifeless, empty husk of mainline denominational Christianity.

It would have been inconvenient to understand much about how alien it would have seemed to be transported somehow to a first century church meeting. To understand about the competing orthodoxy of gnostic Christianity, and the other forces in the mix -- just to name one example.

It would also be inconvenient to understand the incredible impact on art and architecture and culture of those "dead" mainstream denominations -- and how bad we would have looked in comparison to them in our pathetic pole barns with our four part gospel harmony music.

Well, they probably wouldn't get much from the experience unless they spoke Greek...

They have their own versions of history.

JimG Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Not the layperson. They simply pick and choose the parts that fit their own agenda. They take certain things literally (the rapture - my mom just can't wait) and ignore others - or there would be a lot of stoned people. With rocks. Yeah.

Of course they don't have a knowledge of the actual history of the people and culture out of which their religious texts come. And yes, a greater knowledge of history, and the context within which an ancient text was written would change fundamental assumptions and understanding. For example, the book of Revelations. This is the source of a lot of severely misplaced beliefs held by the latter day christians and those holding their breath for the cataclysm. If they studied the historical context and the people who wrote it, and those who were the intended audience for it, they would understand the allegorical meanings, and not interpret them to be a prophecy of a apocalypse They expect us coming. They would also understand the abundance of historical records that exist from the Roman empire at the time that the character of Jesus was told to have lived; and they would realize that there is essentially zero credible evidence to support the idea that he was real. But most Christians will never stop to look into the historical facts.

@icolan i think what many do is decide not to put any time or effort into exploring it or testing the tenets. And of course they do this specifically because they don't want to have to deal with it. And many know that they don't have the intellectual bravery or integrity to stand against their cultural and religious mores. Still others, when it comes down to it, don't really care if it's true or false, as long as they can game the system to some advantage, that's enough. So yes, you are right, many choose a willful ignorance. And many, if pressed, will then deny the evidence. But still, if the truth does get into their skulls, for some it must change the belief. Because the belief is inconsistent with truth... The problem is how to get through with the truth to those who would hear it.

Undoubtedly, no.

Most of the bible stories have 2 historical contexts. The one they are written about, and the one they were written in .

Hardly any of them have any idea at all.
It's appalling.

Yhup it was all real even that magical stuff

NO!

Many of the stories in the Bible are based on earlier myths. For instance, the story of Noah, and the Deluge is based on the Sumerian myth of Ziusudra, of Shuruppak. Most Christians, and Jews don't know this.

Born and raised in a Jewish community and my experience is yes, Jews do know this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.