Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Elizabeth Warren’s rise started by looking at the bottom

“ As a young scholar, Elizabeth Warren traveled to federal courthouses, studying families overwhelmed by debt. She brought along a photocopier, gathering reams of statistics as she tried to answer one question: Why were these folks going bankrupt?

Warren, then a law professor, wasn’t satisfied with textbook explanations; she wanted to hear directly from people drowning in debt. So she sat in courtrooms, listening to one hard-luck story after another. She interviewed lawyers and judges, duplicated bankruptcy filings on a sturdy copier — nicknamed R2-D2 — that she hauled around to save printing costs. And she was joined in her research by two professor-colleagues who teamed with her to study those documents and build a database.

Warren had suspected bankruptcy court might be a last stop for deadbeats, or maybe the very poor. Instead, she discovered mostly middle-class people, many of them homeowners with college degrees who’d suffered one bad break — an illness, a divorce, a job loss. It was the kind of cruel twist that seemed all too familiar: When Warren was 12 years old, her father, a carpet salesman, had a heart attack. The family’s station wagon was repossessed, and her mother went to work in a minimum-wage job at Sears to pay the bills.

Warren’s foray into bankruptcy was the first step in a four-decade journey that has come to define her public profile and shape her worldview. As a law professor, bankruptcy expert, consumer watchdog, Massachusetts senator and Democratic presidential candidate, Warren has consistently championed economic reforms — with mixed results — to boost the middle class.

“The American middle class was in a lot more trouble than anyone had previously thought,” she told The Associated Press, describing her research, “and year by year, the stories have gotten worse. ... The game has become a little more tilted and a little more tilted against hardworking families.””

jerry99 8 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I so hope Warren is our nominee. She's smart, has compassion for those less fortunate, and doesn't take shit from anybody.

Smart, motivated, high-energy, and female -- Trump's worst nightmare!

I would agree if circumstances were normal. But Trump has altered what is considered normal. In the past politicians, by and large, generally followed a general level of civility and focused on policy. Occasional individuals stepped out line, but were shamed back into line. There was very little direct name calling, belittling, deflection. I'm not sure how Warren would deflect and re-direct Trump's childish behavior.

@t1nick I don’t know why a Trump thinks he’s nailed her with that Pocahontas label, but I think she’s risen far above the germ of truth about her false ancestry. Considering that his ancestors were draft dodgers and racist slumlords (just like him), there’s plenty of criticism to fire back with. Obviously she needs to be tough, but I think she’s perfectly capable of out-debating our Shitferbrains President.

@jerry99

Again, that's the problem.. shit for brains doesn't debate. He attacks and calls names. I agree she has risen above the "Pocahantas", thing. But that is just one insult or heckle. The question remains how does she respond when the attacks get personal. Her Democratic challengers have gone easy on her so far as opposed to what Trump will do.

I do agree she is the smartest Democratic candidate in the field. I'm not writing her off, just voicing concerns.

@t1nick Yeah, I'm with you. It's not like he knows how to engage in a fair fight.

@t1nick That isn't going to work a second time. People have watched that act for too long and are growing weary of it.

@t1nick She will confront him directly about it. Hillary's people gave her bad advice, as do most political consultants. Warren will just be herself, and herself doesn't take shit off of anyone as far as i can tell.

@Sticks48 I just watched her Seattle rally and I'm convinced -- she has my full support!

@jerry99 She has impressed me more than anyone.

@StarvingArtist I grew up in Lawton and I was married to an Apache and I know from growing up there and discussions with her the Cherokee tribe is by far the easiest tribe in which to become a member, so I was surprised at their response also. I don't believe this will hurt her in the future if she is the nominee, and trump tries to use it again. I think she will stand up to him. Clinton felt she made a mistake by not doing so. Damn I hope I am right. 🙂

@StarvingArtist I am really impressed with her. I have never heard a candidate be so specific and detailed about their ideas and and how to pay for them as she is. With all of the trump fatigue this might be a good time to break this glass ceiling for the Presidency, and I think she would do a good job.

@StarvingArtist

The True Story of Pocahontas
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The popular story is both incorrect and misleading. I do not think Warren should ply on the Poczhantas trope, as she would lose all Native support. With 21 years in Native. American education, I can pretty well guarantee a negative backlash if she hyped her NA connectiobn.

She is great

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 25, 2019

I like her ideas, but cannot forgive how she threw Bernie under the bus in '16........l

This why I love Elizabeth Warren!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:393679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.