Agnostic.com

33 2

Atheist wedding vows

I know I could search for and find many atheist wedding vows but I want y'alls ideas, thoughts, words. What would you say to your loved one while looking deep into their eyes?

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I got married in a civil wedding ceremony it took about five minutes to complete at our local town hall which is about 100 yards from where we live , no vows or anyhting just sign on the dotted line - the nicest part was that we then went to a photographer who posed us in different ways and it was kindly and nice more intimate.
Later we decided marriage wasnt for us because we felt - more tied and responsible than we had before, so we got divorced.

I stole some vows from Wheel of Time but I should have spoken louder and maybe picked different words and probably should have filed that marriage license so we didn't have to file for common law later.

Lauxa Level 5 Mar 19, 2018

Don't touch my shit!

In 1978 when my late wife and I decided to marry we were living in West Virginia. At first we were told we could only be married by a member of the clergy, we going to be married in another state, a bit of a hassle back then. After some research we found the law had just changed to allow for judges to perform the ceremaony. We were married in the judges chambers, and the ceremany was simple with no reference to god. The judge was a progressive, and rather flamboyant gentleman, who was happe to perform a secular ceremony.

I am sure you can find any number of state or local officiants that will perform a secular marriage, not uncommon these days. Then you can add your own words, a very common practive today, in act many will allow you to write your own ceremony. What to say, you know your future spouse, look into your heart and add the words that capture what is special about your relationship.

Y0u go to the registrar of births marriages and deaths and it takes five minutes to read and sign papers and then oyu are free to whoop i t up however you like

My wife and I used the following from Kahlil Gibran from his book "The Prophet"
“Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.”
― Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

ebdb Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

"I will never betray your trust."

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

If you mean it... "I had been waiting for you all my life... and here you are wanting me as I am."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39487
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.