Agnostic.com

11 4

Are vegans a hindrance to reducing meat in our society as a whole?

To me it sometimes seems like a trendy superiority flex which turns alot of people off. You hardly even hear about vegetarians any more. It gives the impression that you can't be environmentally responsible or a non murderer if you don't give up ALL of the milk, eggs, and fish and reasonably priced skin care products ALL of the time. Most people don't bother, and many refuse to consider improving just to spite vegans for being self superior. Kinda like people electing Trump just to "own the libs".
Another reason is that it takes all the air out of things like insect flour and cutting meat products with mushrooms or other plant material to create a much more responsible burger. These things might be more palatable and easier to make mainstream than some of the fully vegan options. They don't gain as much traction because they are ignored by the vegans who are the loudest most enthusiastic about the problems meat consummation causes.

MsAl 8 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Vegans are people with principles. I have never been visited by any vegan on a Saturday morning. I admire people who try to put their principles into practice.
If I were a vegan, I would also think of butcheries as morgues for innocent animals.
Most meat eaters I know are quite sectarian about which animals they devour. Hardly any of my friends and acquaintances would eat cats or dogs nor horses.
I honestly wish I could become a vegan. I know some vegans who are weirdoes, but I know far more carnivorous weirdoes.

That's a good point about the other types of meat. Ive never been one to shame other cultures for other meats. We eat pigs. and they are higher on the social and intelligence scale than most of our pets.

I do find it frustrating that non vegan food alternatives don't seem to take off. That probably has something to do with the all or nothing diet culture than the vegans themselves but I think there is more opportunity there.

@MsAl I am trying to follow your reasoning, but I don't find your argument convincing. I still haven't seen much of a vegan culture. This idea of vitamins is, to most people, as absurd as promoting abstinence from sexual intercourse to combat HIV. Somehow it seems to be the meat industry that is diabolising Veganism. Vegans have become the Taliban of the meat industry.
Geoffrey51 draws an interesting parallel.... A Vegan mudjahedin under every burger.

It used to be communists that were the American bogey man. Now it’s the vegans.

My don’t times change!😱

No boogie men. I agree their should be less meat. Just looking at a different perspective of it. I am annoyed by the trendiness.

It is likely that vegan activism is a hindrance to the evolution of meat reduction. Raise awareness about the bad ecology of factory farming, the massively ignored or accepted inhumane treatment of animals, and the medical fact that eating too much meat isn't good for the human body. With awareness of those negative facts, I bet many more people would be willing to decrease their consumption of meat. Moreover, it would help if many more affordable and tasty meat alternatives were available for meat eaters, including partial meat alternatives. A very gradual, non-militant transition, may begin to be acceptable to meat lovers, especially those who claim that meat is the only way they can feel physically good.

Interesti thing question. I see veganism as increasing consumption of highly processed foods, while reducing nutrients (mostly do to processing , but also eliminating so many food sources). Being a healthy vegan is such a niche luxury. Very few people in the world have that level of choice about what they eat, and cam obtain healthy foods that meet their ethical criteria. I think veganism might have some affect on food prices on a very local level, but I doubt it's national, much less global. In a way it might bring frankenfood prices down, as opposed to real food, since it encourages research and marketing. Also, fast food purveyors and grocers, must be quite happy with the prospect of not including as much meat in their offeelings. Meat is more expensive and bacteria like it, so it involves way more overhead.

Not necessarily true at all that veganism is all about processed foods. Going out to eat tends to mean something you couldnt do easily at home and has to be able to make a profit for the restaurant. Raw food is perishable and so without consistent demand it might be harder to profit off of carrying it. I ate raw vegan for a while. I was in good shape when I was doing it, gassy, but in good shape! lol Even without going totally raw you can have nuts and beans not overly processed..its just what works for you. Even trying eat 50 percent raw prolly makes a good difference in health. I do think if more were eating more raw food that it would have a more widespread effect..why wouldnt it? Btw thanks for making me think about it. Maybe we need more greenhouses

@thinkwithme but you're part of that privileged few that has the resources and the education and the opportjnniuty to get the foods you want, and understands what you need. Can't say that about most Americans. They'll just buy thjngsbwith the words "vegan" or "plant based" on the label

@MarkiusMahamius so...community gardens.. food expos..greater pressure on government to allow and support feeding people healthy meals..

I wish more people would go vegan, drop the price of meat down a bit.

1of5 Level 8 Aug 28, 2019

It does make you wonder about the supply and demand aspects. Will the dairy and meat industries be affected to the point of reducing price? In the opposite direction, Burger King and KFC are now beginning to offer plant-based alternatives to burgers and chicken...who would have ever thought THAT would happen? Fast Food Vegan! Not saying it's necessarily a healthy alternative...but maybe it is for some people. Meatless Mondays have become a 'thing' after all.

@mojo5501 id bet money that the meatless products that fast food america is offering, are cheaper, lower quality (less digestible nutrition per dollar), have a longer shelf life (because they are engineered to meet the company's needs, rather than the company havjng to figure out how to accomodate the product), and are going to get more popular not less.

@mojo5501 widespread change will certainly affect them and others who proccess, package, transport, and sell the food. As production goes down significantly I'd expect a reduction in the economy of scale to eventually drive prices much higher.

I'm all for meat alternatives for those who want them, but I'm not one of them. Even if the taste and texture is a perfect match its the fat, protein, and lack of carbs that keeps me eating meat as much as anything. It'll be pretty amazing if they can replicate that, and I'd definetly eat it at that point. But the style of eating my body responds best to is basically the keto diet, and plant based meat couldn't be on my menu unless it actually were a meat equivilant instead if a replacement.

@MarkiusMahamius find a taker for that bet and GIVE ME A CALL SO I CAN GET IN ON IT!

For me personally, I find eating more plant-based meals and less meat has been good for my health, my food budget, and my environmental footprint. I will occasionally eat meat and dairy but I've really cut back the frequency as I've become more conscious of the negative impact of the Western Diet. Moderation and awareness...not really political, but a choice I've made for myself. I don't attempt to convert others to my 'lifestyle'.

That seems to be the consenses. I might be wrong about this one. Thats not a bad thing.

In what way would they be a hindrance?

1. By causing other people to dig in to their meat eating lifestyles
  2. By using up all the air of the anti big meat movement on a lifestyle that the majority won't follow or take seriously. There doesnt seem to be much space for making better alternatives that arent vegan but that might be more likely to have wider appeal.

@MsAl I think many of us are seeing the appeal of less meat and dairy. It is a trend that is worrying the Big Food Companies enough to get a reaction...all the lawsuits of what is a milk and what is a burger? Those kinds of legal actions trying to carve out 'authentic' milk products and 'real' meat like veganism is some sort of false advertising scheme...ha ha.

Not all vegans are crusading against animal abuse. I'm mostly vegan, once hunted, and occasionally eat chicken.

I’m going to eat meat when I’m able. Due to digestive issues, I eat what I can, when I can. Another issue is: I eat what I can afford.
I’ve met a few militant vegans who are insistent that I would be healed if I just went vegan...same claims as folks who think CBD can heal anything, or yoga, or whatever. I’m pretty resistant to coercion on any topic, lol, but unsolicited β€˜healing’ advice is top of the list.
If a vegan is extreme and is basically proselytizing, I’m going to avoid that person the same way I would JW.
You do you, and I’ll do me.
My favorite joke about diet debates:
β€˜Minding your own business is 100% gluten free(insert term here)...add THAT to your fucking diet’.

I can relate to your statement: I eat what I can afford. It really is a case of my food budget, too. Over the years, the high cost of beef, pork, poultry, and fish have all made these categories of food more like 'treats' than a regular part of my diet. The less I've eaten of them, the less I find myself putting them on my grocery list. There are so many great vegetarian style meals and meat substitutes that are low cost. It opened up an entirely new way for me to cook and prepare meals!

If you have digestive issues you almost certainly have food allergies, which is to say some plants bother you. Try doing a carnivore diet and then slowly, one-at-a-time reintroduce plants. Meat is the least likely food to cause an allergic reaction. See www.meatheals.com

I buy my meat products at a local meat market which is raised locally by locals, between beef pork and chicken if I eat 5 lbs in a month's time it's a good month generally its less. I don't use fast food and I try to stay away from factory farm products.

Veganism is a faith-based movement, in this case out of a naive desire to eliminate the death of animals. There is a lot wrong with industrial agriculture and farming, but let's be honest: For humans to live, other animals die. With regenerative livestock practices, the carbon impact can be positive.

I am going to have a steakπŸ™‚

Very well stated, thank you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:394948
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.