Agnostic.com

9 2

Modern society writing over old world traditions

I'm a first generation American who has fallen out of my old family cultural pattern. My family is Hindu. I've noticed that in college and at work, a lot of people I was around came from old world family backgrounds, but we all seem to turn this off when we are at work of socializing and working.

Of course, we all act different around different groups. I'll be goofy with my friends, younger siblings, and family. Serious at work and on projects. Quite and reserved in a temple... etc.

I wanted to ask everyone what are their thoughts of old culture habits disappearing into the modern societal norm? I feel like I've embraced this strongly whe I was younger, but as I get older, I like the individuality our different backgrounds give us.

Thoughts?

Nikonian 5 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

#Agenda21 - Protection of Multiculturalism required.
Reading the following will give some insight into the importance of not having world monoculture. United cities & local governments committee on culture - Agenda 21 for culture: [traditionalfolkmusicorpoetryonthegjbs.blogspot.com.au]

I think we'll always be very different due to interests, preferences and personality types. I have learnt about many cultures and celebrate many occassions that my parents don't: like mid summer, mid winter and solar new year. Neil Gaiman wrote a great book called, Small Gods, about what happens when we change cultures or emigrate. The Gods disappeared if people didn't believe or remember them.

I remember my brother telling me about American Gods. He read it. It seems interesting.

Ah yes, looks like I remembered the title wrong. Thanks, that'll be the one.

I despair of my society we don't have much humanity here any more We have the Queen whom we pay thought the nose for and we have Parliament and a log history apart from that we are awful - unkind uncaring unjust ungrateful I hate us one and all except for the few still trying to bring back some values.

Culturally we can hold on to our diverse beliefs without being religious through food, dance and music.

#StandUpForTheBurrup

I have mentioned this before but will continue to do so. In Western Australia there are 50,000 year old rock art forms that have been deliberately smashed and used for chemical factory foundations. Not a word was been said about it by mainstream media unlike the hullabaloo over the recent destruction by the Taliban of religious statues less than a thousand years old.

Why is this?
I suggest primary reasons are greed, stupidity, ignorance and failure to recognise non white superiority. No other people's have recognisably and continuously inhabited a continent for 50,000 years. A continent that outside of the polar regions is one of the most uninhabitable environments known.
So here is a plea that I hope that you will take up and spread around the world😘* the challenge of Standing Up For The Burrup -**
[standupfortheburrup.com]

So sad that these violations of Aboriginal rights in Australia are still ongoing. Thank you for sharing this and making me aware of the cause, I'll share this information with my Aussie friends and family on Facebook.

My parents were first generation American, from different cultures and religions. And I was raised in a predominantly Jewish but very mixed, somewhat immigrant community: Russians, Chaldeans, African-Americans, white folks of various Christian sects and non religious. Across the street was a Sephardic Jewish family from Egypt in a predominantly Ashkenazi Jewish city. I digress. 🙂 My experience is: embrace who you are fully and openly. If you do this authentically, it's not a judgement of others. Balance out your expression of your culture with expression of the American culture you are now also rooted in. Our Constitution allows for this.
Personally, I am always stepping my toe back to klezmer, mediterranean foods, Greek mythology. Some part of me likes to connect with my ancestors. But, I am very happy, as a woman, to have been born and raised in the United States.

Not every thing old is bad. Not every thing new is good.

You should be happy with where you come from but not happy with things that don't seem or are not right in your culture Ithink like say bullfighting

I think there is a level of comfort with the old, with things we grew up with. And we feel like we want to pass on information, wisdom we learned. It would be sad to think that we have no wisdom to pass on to future generations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39519
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.