Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK Evangelical Leader Claims Teaching Kids Basic Science Causes Mass Shootings

The stupid, it burns!

A right-wing evangelical leader on Sunday claimed mass shootings are caused by “driving God from the public square” and more specifically by teaching kids science such as evolution in schools.
“We’ve taught our kids that they come about by chance through primordial slime and then we’re surprised that they treat their fellow Americans like dirt,” Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, said on “Fox & Friends” one day after a gunman in Texas killed 7 and wounded 21 others.
He added:
“I think we have to go back to the point where we instill in these children, at least give them the opportunity to know that they’re created in the image of God, therefore they have inherent value.”
Perkins also claimed it’s impossible to have morality without religion, a view he noted was shared by George Washington.
He did not, however, offer any theories as to how nations with lower levels of religious adherence manage to avoid mass shootings.

jerry99 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So stupid it hurts

Or

That headline is somewhat misleading. There is no proof that life came about by chance through primordial slime. Maybe Tony Perkins is onto something here.

IMO schools should foster awareness and awe in the face of the staggering implications of the mystery of existence as a conscious being. They should also encourage critical analysis and open discussion. A lot of things taught in schools are nothing but mindless dogma.

So you're from the Evolution Is Just A Theory School Of Ignoring Science?

@jerry99 I am fully on board with evolution, but the beginning of life is a mystery and it is unscientific to claim that life arose by chance when no one really understands how life arose.

Also, it’s being swept under the rug in some circles, but what we were taught about evolution in school is not the whole story.

[theguardian.com]

@WilliamFleming 4.5 billion years is a really long time and lots can happen with random events. If you have a better explanation that doesn't involved mysticism or space aliens, I'd love to hear it

@jerry99 As I said, the origin of life is a mystery. If I chalked it up to God or space aliens it would still be a mystery wouldn’t it?

Also a mystery is every second of conscious awareness.

You cannot push mysticism on an educated public. Thats the biggest inherent problem with abrahamic faiths. They try this cop-out approach of saying "well that [insert accepted physics principle] was the method god used". What they have done at that point is personify the physical universe - which is monism. Of course if you take that monism and subtract the ego and control inserted by man then you pretty much have advaita vedanta ... a modern form of hinduism. Such a secular approach actually also corresponds to modern understanding of theoretical physics. Get rid of the mysticism and all faiths start to merge ... maybe into truth?

You'll never convince the people who think stuff like god put the fossils there to test your faith.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:397040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.