Agnostic.com

8 2

QUESTION I Watched Scientology TV for 24 Confusing Hours Straight - VICE

The idea, as per the title, is to convey the principles of Scientology. It started off simply enough, with a voiceover explaining that if you have your appendix removed, it doesn't change your personality, because you're not your body.

Pretty standard spiritual stuff. Fine.

But then they threw it into the highest gear, deployed the nitrous oxide, pulled a donut, and tore the wrong way down the freeway. "You are not your body" became "the eighth dynamic is the urge towards existence as infinity" which became an explanation of how affinity, reality, and communication form the basic components of understanding.

zblaze 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SF writer Jerry Pournelle was friends with Elron back in the late forties, early fifties, when both were members of the LA chapter of SFWA(Science Fiction Writers of America). He recalled, in an article he wrote, about how Elron would talk about how the best and easiest way to get rich in the US was to start a religion. Hmmmm

We are taught as little children to believe in all kinds of magical things that have no basis in reality, because "miracles" or "angels" etc. So my question is: Why wouldn't we be susceptible to joining the first cult that comes along?

I do not see any Bibliograhies concern L. Ron Hubbard and how he came into this. Lots to explore and I have read one of his initial books on Scientology which went no where? I don't comprehend how you pick up a Religion or Cult which for the most part this is and not come to the conclusion that there is more to this than meets the eye. Then go and study other cults and televangelists and see how they jumped on the band wagon. Scientology is very rich and rewards its Hollywood Participants that dupes others to fall into the pit of deceit. And they are all slowly and silently leaving.

I love to watch anything concerning these charlatins. It really exempifies how easily some people are to bamboozal. VICE is a great channel in that there is content unavailable anywhere else accept maybe YOUTUBE. Not everything is to my liking but what is?

I too sat down to watch a bit of their new channel. I could only take a half hour of it. I watched the segment on the Humanity campaign in Colombia. It really made no sense and only proves what Mike Rinder has said about their propaganda. It's pretty crude and mindless, lots of fluff and pretty pictures, but no real there there.

The fact they have resorted to creating this TV channel to get their message out only shows how effective both the Going Clear documentary and Leah Ramini's Scientology and the Aftermath have been. The history of this religion's shady practices and outright bullying are well documented and notorious. And even to this day, they continue their underhanded tactics of smearing former members, the latest being against filmmaker Paul Haggis.

I never quite understood the appeal of Scientology, even in it's heyday of the 80's. I was briefly courted by them and thankfully based on the advice of an older friend, I avoided getting to deep with them beyond an intial meeting. My friend recommended I do some research into them, and so I did. What I found convinced me Hubbard and his "church" was a scam. What amazed me is for how long they have stayed around. But now, I think they are in a serious decline by their own former members.

L. Ron Hubbard was a crazy ass meglomaniacal lunatic who has conned hundreds of thousands of people out of billions of dollars. Anyone who seriously tries to verify anything about Hubbard's claims would soon realize what a nut job this man truly was. It's one thing to laugh and scorn the people who got involved with Scientology by their own volition, it's another when two and three generations have grown up in it.

I hope their new TV channel shows the rest of us what a con job this organization truly is.

Any input on what happened to Marty Rathbun? He was a central figure in the HBO Scientology documentary, but is missing from the Leah Remini Aftermath series. I know he was in a lawsuit with his wife and the Church of Scientology, but I lost track of what happened after that. I thought he either settled out of court and has some sort of NDA.

@Darthpug I have not heard anything about him since his first appearance on Leah's show, but he did appear as I recall.

@Darthpug: I found in Mike Rinder's blog an entry about Rathbun and it does look like he's turned back to defending Scientology and attacking Rinder and Remini. This IMO is the most insidious of all cults. Few if any religious cults, short of the Mooneys, come as close to COS. [mikerindersblog.org]

I watched the show with the actress Leah Remini a few times and had no idea what Scientology was all about. After reading this article still no idea.

LOL

Do people really think their personality will change when your appendix is removed? lol

This is basic false equivalency. Get the listener or reader to agree to something that most people will readily agree is true, then try to equate that with some crazy shit that isn't at all the same thing. Your personality doesn't change when your appendix is removed. Sure. Therefore, your body is not "you". Well, at least ignoring the brain, sure. Therefore "the eighth dynamic is the urge towards existence as infinity". Wait -- whut?

Some depressing percentage of people will be led to this deepity and be swallowed by it, because it's adjacent to the other fairly benign and basically true assertions and it's embarrassing to them to admit they don't understand WTF that last statement even meant; they feel they are SUPPOSED to. Or as my mother used to say, "they" wouldn't let them say that if it weren't true (I never did figure out who "they" were, Mom).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39762
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.