Agnostic.com

30 10

Hiking dilemma. Be a good sport or bail with thunderstorms?

Tomorrow our fearless hiking leader, Gro, wants to hike steep Fourth of July trail with a 70% chance of rain. This trail is high in the mountains.

Hazardous weather outlook: slow-moving thunderstorms in the mountains with heavy rain and possible mudslides and landslides in steep (check) and burned terrain (check).

Instead, I suggested we hike on Wednesday (sunny) or down-shift to lower Icicle Gorge trail. We can enjoy Icicle Gorge even in the rain.

Gro has a long history of wanting to keep going in heavy rain, lightning, hail, snowstorms, ice storms, etc. I think that's nuts. Safety first.

My favorite hiking partner Karen is gone this week. Karen hikes at my pace. So, I'm stuck with Gro who is so fast, I wind up hiking alone. No fun.

Be a good sport or bail?

Photo: Karen (left) and Gro (right) on Fourth of July trail in good weather. 2016.

UPDATE: I decided to bail. Thanks, everyone!

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’d bail. Safety is important

Your Health and Wellbeing are Priority One.

Hiking with a threat of thunderstorms is not wise. A woman was hit by lightning and killed n the west highlands of Scotland earlier this year but it literally was "a bolt from the blue" as no thunderstorms were forecast. She was just very unlucky.

Rain is uncomfortable; lightning can be deadly.

MizJ Level 8 Sep 9, 2019

@MizJ

You're right. On Fourth of July trail, we would be exposed, high on ridges with thunderstorms and lightning. Unsafe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:399893
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.