Agnostic.com

8 0

Does anyone know of an elected politician who is atheist?

GlyndonD 7 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are plenty of atheist politicians at all levels in the UK. Generally, indifference to religion is stronger than expressed atheism, but recent surveys have shown that the number of people claiming a specific religious affiliation is dropping all the time.

So, there's hope for us?

Two of our three main political parties in the UK are led by atheists: Jeremy Corbyn is leader of the Labour Party - and, I hope, will be our next prime minister; while Vince Cable is leader of the Liberal Democrats. Theresa May, current prime minister and leader of the Conservative Party, says she's a Christian and supports policies that have seen a massive rise in homelessness and childhood poverty.

In OZ we have many, we even had a female atheist prime minister, yet the religious far out number them and are currently in power. We are going backwards, going far to the right, I cannot understand why.

We're "lurching to the right" probably because we're changing economic paradigms again. The associated fear and uncertainty favour conservatism. Then there's the decades old push to make us more afraid. "Be alert not alarmed" was there ever a more disingenuous campaign?

@RobAnybody ahh the world must need more lerts

@Rugglesby Fortunately, apart from a few who vote for Christian right "family first" candidates, I don't think Australians generally allow religion to affect their voting. For Australians, the hip pocket beats the Bible anyway. You know we had an election here in SA last Saturday, and the Christian Conservatives/ Family First party didn't do well.

@David1955 hip pocket and any other instant gratification, oh look a shiny thing, will vote for them. You are right, very few people consider much at all when voting.Makes democracy scary.

@Rugglesby Yeah, but I kind of like the fact that we are a practical people, even if it does lend itself to blatant self interest sometimes. I do wish sometimes we were more a people of Principles. We are, of course, but they are mostly other countries' Principles. (UK, USA etc)

It depends on the principles, doesn't it? The USSR was atheist, but I sure didn't like their principles. I also don't like setting up government as some kind of providential god that all must worship and obey (pay your tithings/taxes).

It's highly likely there are, but they're not public about it. Statistically speaking, it seems almost assured.

In the US, we have gotten over our prejudices and elected a Catholic for President, African-American, and woman (popular vote, anyway), and I think this country could now elect a Jew or even an LGBTQ, but it will not elect an agnostic (let alone, atheist). Too many religiosos in this country. It won't happen for a long, long time.

Bernie Sanders of VT is a cultural Jew and tAtheist for many years. He was my mayor when I lived in Burlington, VT

He has stated he is an atheist? Or agnostic? On the campaign trail, he seems to just imply (meekly and with some prodding) that he is a Jew.

He is a quiet non-practicing Atheist - has been for years.

So when reporters or citizens in a town hall meeting ask him this, he admits it?

Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema is a none and about the closest I know of.
[usnews.com]

gearl Level 8 Mar 20, 2018

No, I'm unaware of any.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.