Agnostic.com

9 1

Learning how to teach how to learn

Education, especially public education, is still very new to the human race. we are in a constant struggle to change the ways we learn and educate others as we develop and expand our ability to give more access to education worldwide.

What, in your opinion, is a major obstacle to education improvement?

• 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 0 votes
Aaron89 4 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m a teacher in an urban school district. I see the cycle of people with a lack access to quality education bringing up kids in districts with limited resources. The more kids need the less they have access to. It’s the result of a culture of segregation and a culture the continues poverty.
“Why should my tax money go to schools? I don’t have any kids there”

I voted politics but one answer does not cover the question well. More money is needed, but for hiring the best not necessarily for better stuff. More money is political. Is it culture, or families being overwhelmed just trying to live day to day?

I have always though that we force a broad variety of personalities into a one size education to fit all. Best practices for education takes several forms related to students preferred learning style and the content interests.

This is not easy to answer in a survey, but I like the discussion.

Culture. The Anglosphere has inherited the legacy of Muscular Christianity which had a very anti-itellectual, anti-teacher slant to it. Fix that and we get a society which will provide all the other things on the list. And, vide Rugglesby, might broaden the scope to provide more than factory fodder in the public system and expendable junior officers in the private one.

WHat is taught has such a narrow focus, it concentrates on what is of value in the workforce.

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes, there seem to be 2 foci, keep the kids somewhere while the parents are forced to work due to high costs of living, and to make sure the kids have the skills necessary to meet the needs of the labour market, There is no attempt to encourage what these potentially bright minds may come up with.

@Gwendolyn2018 Exactly the same here, we have kids who cannot read after 13 years of education. They are not job ready and yet are able to enroll, often forced to enroll in further study they could not complete, just to reduce the number of people on the dole.

I think it is more cultural and a matter of priorities. In the U.S. we spend more money on defense than the ten hext highest defense spenders, none of which are our allies. Shift our priorites and suddenly eduction becomes very affordable. So, I see the problem as mostly cultural... at least here in the U.S.

children should be taught how to learn not what to learn.

"How to learn" Yes..........What to learn? No. The kids should be exposed to everything and provided with the tools to separate the good from the bad. Also, the material should be tailored to the needs and abilities of the kids while receiving the basics.
BTW, the most important issue is "lack of discipline" . Without discipline no learning is possible....but, as most people know, lack of discipline is fomented by the system as a way to manipulate the people. ...since less educated human beings are easier to fool.

I couldn't agree more

Obsticle: Teaching that "Faith" is a Virtue and a path to Truth and denying Science and Reason Are!

Politics by influence from religious and anti-LGBTQ groups are stunting the growth of our public schools.

i said finance but it is tightly twisted up with politics

I agree.
I was going to argue culture plays a big roll, but I think that even that come down to Politics and Finance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.