Agnostic.com

9 1

Are intelligent people an oppressed minority?

We find a great deal of anti intellectualism in American society. Certain sub groups discriminate against intelligent people. Other societies are even worse in this regard.

Does an intelligent person have to hide their real intelligence? How can such a person most effectively deal with the discrimination? Should we have Intellectual Pride parades?

Remiforce 7 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think so. Intelligent people are not systemically oppressed so and do not face societal inequalities due to being smart. Based on how we define oppression and minority groups, I will say no.

All minorities are oppressed in some way ... intelligent people are able to recognise it.

Trying to be but I never hide my intelligence,at least because I was medical it's expected

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 17, 2019

You were lucky. Nobody wants a dumb doctor.

@Remiforce yup

I feel no need to hide my intelligence. It's an asset.

Intelligent people are not oppressed. Just because Trump is a moron, doesn't mean intelligent people are persecuted.

You may be in denial. Trump is not really the cause, he is a symptom. The idiocy he has unleashed has always been there in American society.

You may be lucky enough to live in the liberal ghetto of a big city among reasonably intelligent people.. You might want to go out & find out what real people are like. I think you will be a sadder but wiser person

@Remiforce

Nonsense. I live in rural, conservative Eastern Washington. This area is becoming more liberal. In 2016, 45% of voters voted for Hillary Clinton in Chelan and Douglas counties. In 2018, 48% voted for Democrats.

When I moved to Wenatchee, WA in 1984, I could not relate to locals who thought Wenatchee was the center of the universe. Some had never been to Seattle.

Instead, I made friends with liberal, educated, intelligent people who, like me, moved here from a different state (Michigan).

One of my dear friends, Kameon, and her kids are proud to call themselves "rednecks." I convinced her to remove the Confederate flag from the boy-cave in her garage. "The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism, plain and simple," I said. A month later, it was gone.

Do you have a reference to these anti-intellectual subcultures?

I’d like to see who they are and what they do

For one, Trump supporters at rallies who rail against the elites & "fake news", like "the failing NYT". There are many others out there when you get away from the intellectual ghettos of the big cities.

I’m not oppressed, but then I’m not intelligent!

As an ignoramus of the highest order I wonder why intelligent people would be wasting their intelligence on such matters. I thought they might be pondering more intelligent intelligentsia type thinks.

But then what would I know? I am content in my ignorance. But then I’m not in America either.

If you know you don't know, you are among the most intelligent, right up there with Socrates. You might want to come out of the closet

There are different kinds of intelligence. It’s hard to gauge somebody’s intelligence so I try not to. I’ve been surprised many times by what people come up with, even children.

IMO it’s best to be true to yourself. Don’t even try to fit in—you’ll get more respect.

Your intelligent ideas are appreciated here, at least by me.

True, Intelligence is not one thing, it is many abilities related to many activities.. I have found the most intelligent people are most facile in fitting in with whoever they are with. Then we come to the issue of intellectual intelligence & emotional intelligence. Some people are fortunate enough to have both

I have found it's important to judge the intelligence of others but that is not their total character. To paraphrase MLK, "Judge people not by their I.Q, but by the content of their character".

Thanks for the compliment. I have had some intelligent ideas, but it keeps me humble to realize I have had some remarkebly stupid ones also

@Remiforce Great response!

I’m thinking about the intelligence required by athletes—say by a basketful player to score while dribbling down court. Or does that qualify as intelligence?

@WilliamFleming If you subscribe to Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences theory then yes it does count as a type of bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.

Only when you try to share the truth with slow people.

gater Level 7 Sep 16, 2019

I have found the intelligent don't try to share their truth with slow people. As Eptitius said, "If a wise person tries to share wisdom with a fool, they will say it is foolishness"

@Remiforce Smart guy 🙂

Yes, we need reservations, quotas, special rights, representation and be identified as a minority on U.S. Census forms.

Right on, Brothers & Sisters, We should have protected status & official recognition by the census. Too long have we been discriminated against in silence. We should have Intelligent Pride Parades & organizations to represent us. I suggest the Intelligent Rights Defense Council.

We should end defamation of elites by Trump supporters & use of derogatory terms like "Eggheads".

For too long intelligent people have been a despised minority

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.