Agnostic.com

7 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A lot of red white and blue flags ... maybe they are the colours of happiness

america has greater resources than norway. could it be that norway claims #1 b/c the ppl vote more wisely.

No shit

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 17, 2019

A lot of Norway’s success can be attributed to its embrace of state capitalism. With the right leadership we could accomplish what Norway has accomplished.

We are so divided, and are so far in debt that it would be very difficult however.

@ToolGuy How could we built up a public investment fund large enough to mean much while we are under such a staggering debt. We need to have a balanced budget and we need to pay down that debt.

Norway has a public fund worth a trillion dollars, $195,000 per citizen.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@ToolGuy OK, I watched the video, but I am not persuaded. I have various questions or objections.

First, of all though, I am fully aware, and have said many times that money is nothing but an accounting system and is not real wealth. You can’t tell that to your creditors however. You have to pay them back.

In the video it is stated that when governments run deficits the economy flourishes and when the government has a balanced budget depression ensues. Ok, what happened to Norway? Norway continuously has a net surplus of assets, a very large surplus, yet they are not having a depression. What about Venezuela with its huge debt and history of social spending? Not so good, and there are other examples—Greece e.g.

If the economy is driven by government borrowing and spending, then why put any limit on it? Why not just have a trillion trillion dollar debt and a hundred trillion dollar deficit so that we can all be rich? It makes no sense. IMO the government does not drive the economy. Government has a role but does not drive or control the economy. Government is a parasite on the economy, a necessary parasite but government can choke the economy if it becomes too large. Money is not real wealth and government provides little in terms of goods and services.

The point was made that treasury bills are assets held by the public and represent wealth to the nation in the same way as stocks. Baloney! Private corporations are in the business of creating real wealth. Yes, T-bills are great assets to the holders of those bills, but they represent a burden to the public at large.

IMO there is no rational reason for government to have debts. Every penny of the debt will have to be paid back at some point, and with interest. The general public of a country represents at huge bank. There is no reason for the public to borrow at all. Not one thing is gained by delayed payment, but lost is the interest payed. The only beneficiaries are the bond holders. Taxpayers have no obligation to provide bonds as an investment option for the world.

I am no economist, but there are many, many economists who warn against government debt, and as was said in the video, politicians of all stripes. At some point the debt will be unsustainable with dire results.

But thanks for the link. I guess we disagree.

No surprise.

I'm surprised we are as high as fourteenth.

@stick48. I just looked at the list, 14 seemed about right to me .

The list hasn't been updated since Obama was in. We have since fallen off the chart.*

• Trump supporters - The previous comment was meant as sarcasm and not to be confused with political fake news.

@chucklesIII That makes more sense.

They have been ranked #1 for quite a few years. Many Americans are too pig headed to believe it. I think that's one reason we fail as a nation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403391
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.