Agnostic.com

5 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The negotiated settlement is still outrageous. But then what do you expect with for profit health care?

The ER isnt drop in care. Its for people who might be dying. They charge for that kind of care. If you don't want that, don't go. Note: those concierge care ERs like that guy went to, are predatory af.

@SeaGreenEyez technically the ER isnt required to treat if its not life threatening, but if the guy was puking and had the worst headache of his life, the ER was required by law to prove it wasnt life threatening. Which apparently cost 12k. It is a fucked up system.

@SeaGreenEyez actually is requires them to be screened but treatment is only mandated to medically stabilize. Problem is, screening is often far more complex than the actual treatment, as in this case

@SeaGreenEyez from .[emergencyphysicians.org]

EMTALA is a federal law that requires hospital emergency departments to medically screen every patient who seeks emergency care and to stabilize or transfer those with medical emergencies, regardless of health insurance status or ability to pay — this law has been an unfunded mandate since it was enacted in 1986.

This is yet another example of why we need Medicare for all.

If we had some type of MFA, this would still be a huge bill for something that wasnt an emergency. Should tax payers still pay this guys bill, no questions asked? How are we going to control run away health care spending if we don't make people responsible for the cost of things like this?

@Seeker3CO heres a story relevant to CO. Does speak to the need for nationwide policies. [9news.com]

@Seeker3CO even that news story was a long sob story with lots of pontificating, with only the barest mention of the actual legal issue at the end.

What an idiot. I have never understood why people want to get drunk.

Alcohol dehydrates you.

I saw that on the news... That's crazy stuff... I think his insurance stepped in and negotiated a settlement...

From CBS news...

Cameron's insurance company negotiated the bill down to roughly $4,700, and paid nearly $2,100. He owes the rest.

He owes at least $2600 (other issues like co pays and dectibles may change that). He is really lucky that his insurance company and the hospital were willing to negotiate.

@Seeker3CO i was actually amazed the facility accepted any negotiated payments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:404606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.