Agnostic.com

7 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While important, it is no more important that those living entities that consume rotting material from dead biota. Without them, we would be buried in rotting waste and the bee would be absolutely useless.

I love honey bees, bumblebees, wasps, hornets ALL pollinators. Baldfaced hornets will build their paper nests in a thicken on a honeybee route and they will snatch honeybees coming and going from the hive. A friend kept honeybee hives on my property and one day I spotted the hornet nest hidden in the brush, I watched to make sure and yep honeybees were on their diet. These hornets are great for eating flies and other insects but I draw the line at honeybees so I destroyed the hornet nest.
Besides pollinating the local raw honey is WONderful!!!!

There are some city people planting rooftop flower gardens for birds and bees !

Save the Bees !

Yes. I have a cactus that only blooms in the morning & then the bloom dies. I love watching the bees enjoy a great breakfast.

I want them nearby, even though we have Africanized wild bees here.

To be clear, we would survive a bee apocalypse. It wouldn't be fun, but our staple diets are pollinated by the wind. Plants have lots of ways to do the nasty.

We would stand to see a lot of our produce go extinct, except we'd just hand-pollinate. The end result is that prices on these foods skyrocket and become more of a luxury than they already are.

I don't want the bees to go, they're pretty awesome, but it is a myth we would perish without them.

@ToolGuy respectfully I disagree. Wheat, rice, corn, and many other staple foods that the poorest among us (and our food animals) rely on for survival require no insect help.

Bees are super crucial and I hate that they are going out. Their disappearance would irreparably harm us and be a stain on our species. But we would survive with a slightly more bland diet. Few would starve without them.

@ToolGuy our opinions are irrelevant, and the source you posted had one paragraph on the percentage of plants bees pollinate.

Here are some more helpful links I hope you will read:

[google.com]

[vice.com]

[nrdc.org]

@ToolGuy we would have a lot less variety in our diet should the bees disappear. I for one love many of the foods bees help keep alive. We would suffer tremendous consequences without them. But it is unlikely anyone would starve.

@ToolGuy surviving was the issue, friend, because you said many of us would not survive. That is simply not the case. It is not meant as rudeness, but the science simply does not agree with you.

@ToolGuy I have repeatedly said it was a tragedy that the bees were dying off. I hope with my entire heart we find a way to help them bounce back from their current trend.

I do not believe, however, that anything is wrong with me because I said we would not starve were they to disappear. I empathize the same as you, but I do not embrace falsehoods because of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.