Agnostic.com

12 4

POLL Ok or no? Halloween costume sold in Albuquerque raises concerns | KRQE News 13

A halloween costume representing a cultural stereotype... a geisha girl, a mustachiod mexican, a eskimo, a fairy tale princess... where do "we" (the social police) draw the line? Does a mexican have the right to dress up as a stereotypical mexican trope, but non-mexicans dont?

• 8 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 13 votes
MarkiusMahamius 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My opinion is whoa, scuse me, I'm not stepping on this landmine. Let me know what yall decide! Until then, I'm exclusively dressing up as a Hanson brother.

Mmmmmmbop.

Its all a load of PC bollocks.

Dress up as what you like or better still, let’s get government guidance as to what we can dress up as.

The PC Police propose drag acts illegal like the Bkack and White Minstrel Show.

Where did all this turn to shitπŸ€ͺ

I hate the idea of "social police"....the "police" part, that is....

I've never understood why certain evil characters are acceptable (monsters, murderers, etc.), but Hitler or generic Nazis are not (or are at least frowned upon).

just as i predicted a few days ago. sit back & enjoy the ludicrous efforts to rise to the top of the politically correct.
soon men who don't shave regularly will be suspect b/c of their 5 o'clock shadows.

They could sell any part of that costume and not call it "Mexican Man" and it could become part of a costume and probably be used just fine and appropriately but not at a Halloween party.
At a celebration of some Mexican festival maybe? Sure.

But I think in the climate we are in - with ICE detention centers holding small children of immigrants - dressing up as another culture just doesn't need to be done.

Dress up as something else - use your imagination. Not cultural appropriation.
If it is your culture? Go ahead. Celebrate.

Did you see what Justin Trudeau went through in the past week for brown face? Let's not go there.
If you need to color your face in - be a Klingon. Or a Forest Elf. There are so many things to be without being a cultural stereotype.

Hell just dress up as ghosts and you'd be doing better.
I miss ghosts.
You'd probably offend some Klan member though. (Not really worried about that though). Gotta say.

Freedom of speech, including outward appearance should be protected unless it incites violence. Unless I see some evidence that dressing up like any of those things causes someone to lose their shit I don't see any problem.

I mean, if a Mexican man put on thick glasses and a nerdy shirt with a pocket protector and said "I'm a white guy" would anyone honestly be so offended that they might start a fight or worse? I don't know about everyone else, but I would find that funny and endearing.

Party City this week is selling short afros, long afros, Jamaican hats with locs attached, black face and brown face makeup ...all modeled by white people. No. Just no. There is no excuse for racist costumes worn by white people. It’s not funny. They aren’t β€œjust costumes”
when you consider the history of white supremacy culture and appropriation.

UUNJ Level 8 Sep 24, 2019

they are just costumes

Personally, I think the whole PC thing has gone too far. I don't care if you want to dress in black face, white face, Chinese face, Indian face, etc. What matters is your attitude. Are you really dressing up to make fun of a particular group or are you dressing up just to have fun. I used to know a 100 Polish jokes and I am Polish on mom's side of the family. I didn't make jokes to make fun of the people, just to have fun. In all instances you could of changed the nationality but who cares except for the too thin skinned and paranoid thinking you are talking about them..

Adult have ruined Halloween. It used to be fun and for kids......sad

Halloween stopped being fun a long time ago.
Now, it's more trouble than it's worth.

I'm done with it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406517
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.