Agnostic.com

9 5

Socializing on a budget...

I'm essentially poor. I can barely make ends meet, but I would love to have a social life. Even a simple task of going for coffee is not really feasable at this point. I'd like some pointers on how to meet people without having to dig into the wallet. BTW, not a bum, just seeking employment ATM.

valerina 7 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I went to the March yesterday in town. I am "poor" also but I met a few like minded people of my age yesterday. I may not want to date them but networking can often leed to friendships.

It's tough, I'm employed and still have to watch the pennies. I don't have much of a social life either but I work some evenings and have my daughter other times and like my own company when on my own so not quite in the same boat, but maybe volunteering at a lunch club or coffee morning? It would get you out, it would make so much difference to the people that are there, you could do some networking yourself which could lead to toher groups or even employment and maybe there's a cup of coffee in it for you. I'm trying not to be patronising, and apologies if this sounds like it, and I don't know where you are but in the UK there are a lot of these kinds of social places where people on a budget do gravitate to, and they'd love to have someone like yourself go along. You made it here and did this post so you're obviously a thoughtful, intelligent person who's open to ideas and input. good luck 🙂

Thank you so much!!

@valerina You're welcome 🙂

I will see your poor and raise destitute.
Coffee at a cafe is bloody expensive.
Depends on your situation/location.
My advice is think laterally, don't think of it as being a budget exercise, see it as being a money free exercise.
Somewhere where purchasing is not an option.
Though not a date, when kids and I forst moved out of home, they were 12 and 13. Of a night we would hop on our pushbikes and ride through a local environment park with our food in backpacks. We woudl do 3 rounds, over 15 miles all up, each time we passed the free electric BBQs, we would turn them on, so bt the time were were finished they were really hot. Then we would sit at the table, get out our snags, eggs drink etc and have dinner.
Since then I have taken irls on cycling dates, ride through our coastal towns and stop somewhere for a picnic or bbq lunch, means I carry a lot on my back, but it is do-able.
State forests/national parks and the like are gerat for hiking and a meal at he furthest point, girls 1/2 my age often ask me to do this with them, not a date of course, but a pleasant outing and you should see the looks I get from guys of all ages. so funny. This sort of thing as also possible for a group.

I meet freinds through meetup.com groups. Some groups are free, whiel others have fees, and some just ask you ship in to pay carpool drivers for gas. Anyway, you dan do serches to find groups or events in your area.

I did sign up there once and almost made it to a get-together but I chickened out lol! I might have to revisit it. Thanks for reminding me of that @snytiger6!!

@valerina Try Open Door Outreach on Meet-Up. They do service work like cooking for shelters etc so there's a little less pressure to "socialize".

I second Meetup. Not sure about where you are, but it is huge in Denver. I have made many really good long lasting friendships through Meetup. I even started hosting some events.

Most of the groups are free, with some doing a donate what you can occasionally to cover the cost of having a group. Around $150 a year last time I checked. There are usually enough members to more than cover the cost even if only a portion of them only donate a buck. So there is rarely any pressure for money if you are in a good group. There are some that try and run it as a business and make money off of it, but that is against the rules, and those usually don't last long.

Some groups can be inherently expensive, like a wine/fine dinning group. But hiking, picnics, game nights, book clubs, etc... are almost always free or bring a snack to share kind of thing.

I can be an introvert when at a gathering that I don't know anyone, but every group I have been to, went out of their way to make the newbies feel welcome. So don't talk yourself out of it next time. I am sure you will be surprised at how welcoming everyone is.

I defiantly recommend trying a few groups as some are more fun than others.

I've been there too. here isn't a bad place for a start even if it's for ideas. maybe some volunteer work where you meet people?

Been there living on disability I had a choice to make. I went to a food bank once a week for groceries. I switched from a smart phone to a flip phone-under $50month. I rented out my house which almost covers my mortgage. I moved into my office and I am sharing my home with my daughter' inlaws family. Their sons shovel and maintain the yard. I have money to travel and people to housesit and watch my animals. I can also afford to shop at the supermarket. I'm lucky I have 5 bedrooms and can keep my house. Consider a roommate.

I joined a non-profit called circles. It helps eliminate poverty by addressing barriers to success and problems in the community, as well as education and building bridges between the poor and the middle class. It became a family to me, and every week I'd go, get a free dinner, and socialize with my circles group. They helped me re-write my resume to be attractive to employers, and showed me how to act middle class in order to get a decent job. Win-win.

You might ask around and see if your community has something like that, or even try to start your own through the circles program. It's really awesome.

So far my town has gotten over 80 adults out of poverty and over 200 children.

That is really awesome! Thanks, I'll look into it!

@valerina [circlesusa.org]

@ashortbeauty perfect thanks!! I'll definitely look into this!

Pictionary via FaceTime???

You might be able to find socialization through volunteer opportunities in your community.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40709
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.