Agnostic.com

7 1

Dental question -- Do you think this is legitimate?

At my regular exam/cleaning at my dentist, I was told, based on X-rays from my previous exam six or seven months ago, that I have a number of tiny holes or cavities in my six front teeth. (They didn't do any X-rays at this exam), and that I'd have to have them all filled (over $600). I was also told that I had periodontal gum disease, and that I'd have to come in every 3 months for the rest of my life to have my gums taken care of (can't remember specifically what that would involve).

I don't know why they didn't tell me about the holes in the teeth the previous exam months back, when they took the X-rays. Do you think all this sounds that they told me I need to have done is really legitimate?

AlasBabylon 8 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just an update -- sorry to take so long -- but I did get a second opinion, and the second dentist said that none of that work was necessary. The "holes" in my teeth, she said, were normal wear, and that it would do n harm to leave them be. My gums were okay too, and she said that as long as I took proper care of my teeth, brushing and flossing, I should be okay. My usual place (which I won't name) was evidently scamming me. I won't be going back to them again.

I've had a lot of dental work, and I've never heard this one before.

I and family members havd visited dishonest dentists before. This sounds very suspect and to the financial interest of said dentist. I would seek a second opinion.

Zster Level 8 Sep 27, 2019

Yeah, they should have done x-rays again if they want to fill any cavities, that sounds shady. I just went and they took X-rays and showed me some tiny holes that they said they want to fill, but they also said that my teeth are pretty strong and that we could even wait a year to fill them since I don't have dental insurance.
Your experience reminds me of a chiropractor I saw once who I think upon seeing I was a VA patient just saw dollar signs and said that I needed to come back every week. I didn't agree with her so ended up going to a different chiropractor who doesn't even charge me if I don't need to be adjusted. He's amazing.

Remi Level 7 Sep 27, 2019

Shop around, there is a lot of room for disagreements on treatment options even if the different dentists are acting in good faith. Age, smoking or prescription medication affect the progress of periodontal disease so you need to know if other dentists would make the same recommendation.

I have never heard of periodontal care requiring lifetime treatment. I would get a second opinion.

You may need a second opinion. I have a new dentist and they use a deep cleaning (takes a while, and they numb your mouth) process. It is questionable that they didn't take any xrays before and why. You may have the holes, most likely. I don't know about a 4 time a year for life treatment - research I suppose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:407393
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.